Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Hard start/Rough Idle upon start up/No Check Engine Light

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  G8orFord 
#1 ·
'04 Lariat SD 6.0L 4wd crew cab long bed auto w/313k miles

Yesterday morning, it was only 50 degrees, and it was a chore to get it to fire. It would crank nice & strong, just not fire/catch. I was able to get it to start, by treating it like a flooded gas car, by adding just a touch of throttle pedal when it would try to ignite. Once started, it idles rough for about 20-30 seconds, then smooths out. This is the second time that it's done this. Once warm, it starts/idles/runs/drives like a new truck the rest of the day. If it's warm out (70 or above) there is no issue on first start.

I went ahead and changed the oil yesterday (upped it form Rotella 15/40 to Rotella 5/40 synthetic) and filter, both fuel filters (all Motorcraft), and drained the water valve (no light on dash though, just thought it was a good idea). This morning it started easier, but still idled rough for a few seconds.

The truck had all new injectors replaced (dealership done) less than 40k miles ago by po. I've read that the glow plugs and GPCM rarely go bad on the 6.0, and that if they do go bad, it throws a code/check engine light. That hasn't happened. Not sure what my next step should be. I do have all maintenance records since new, and the oil & fuel filters were changed religiously, and usually by a Ford dealership, always with Ford parts.

I really like the truck, and would love to figure this issue out, since it's the only mechanical issue that it's known to have. ANY/ALL help & info is greatly appreciated...

ETA: Fuel pump sounds nice and consistent, as does the starter cranking

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like injector stiction. You can try Archoil or Rev-X. Both have pretty good reviews on here for helping with that problem. A search will bring you more information on the subject than you'll care to read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.