Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ccv mod concerns

8K views 45 replies 15 participants last post by  7.3 powerchoke 
#1 ·
I did the ccv mod with an ebay catch can routed to rear of truck
Only concern is that i reduced the 1"'hose to 3/8" hose in order to fit the catch can fitting
Could this pose a problem???
Pics coming in the am

#6 ·
The key to the leaks would be RESTRICTIONS!!!

An open 1in hose isn't going to cause any restriction. When routed to a catch can and serval elbows and then the vent will create a restriction. This is a big reason why I am pro CCV dump and not the mod with the catch can. If you want to get the oil out of the CA system then just dump it. Or leave it and run it. It wont hurt anything to leave it stock either. Pipes and boots don't blow off unless they are improperly installed or oil soaked from leaking for a long period of time.

#14 ·
Hey Toren302, thoughts on a racor ccv8000 system with no elbows and big lines?

you don't need a Racor 8000 the 6000 is fine even the 4500 should work

it is the best way to get oil out of the system and keep the CCV intact IMO

if I had not found a smoking deal on my Racor I probably wouldn't have done any CCV mod but I really don't mind not having the oil in my CAC

OP I would dump the catch can if it has a 3/8 restriction

#8 ·
Quick little update i disconnected the 1" hose from the reducer and i revved it and even brake boosted and no smoke, only factor is that the truck wasnt up to temp so its not the same scenerio....yet
I will let it get to temp later and try again

#10 ·
^ X2 I have my 7.3 CCV inch and half hose vented to atmosphere...

#12 ·
I ran mine with 1" I.D. rubber hose back and dumped it in front of the rear axle. No issues in a couple thousand miles, and no drips. You can smell it from time to time if your near the back of the truck or hooking up a trailer while it's running, but no biggie.
LOL I still have to extend my hose lol.. I got mine on the frame rail and like an idiot I ran it right in front of my driver door so now when I go thru a drive thru oil vapors fill up the restaurant and the cashier starts coughing lmao :doh:

#29 ·
I was given a brand new in the box racor 8000 which is why I would use it but the mixed signals have me confused. I don't want the potential smell of venting out back nor do I want the oil in the ca system...
what you have in the Racor is the fix for what you want

mine uses one inch hose and back to the turbo inlet no extra 90's or 45 * fittings at all

i did swap the OEM fittings around to facilitate a straight shot to the hose

the 8000 is overkill but it won't hurt anything to run a big filter

#16 ·
That sir is called the perfect medium, and it doesn't exist.

You will either have oil in the CAC system or deal with a smell. Honestly the smell isn't bad. Mine runs just behind the t-case and only when the wind blows the perfect way with the windows down do you smell it. Other wise you would never know. The Racor systems work great too, just an added maintenance item.

#17 ·
So, something that has crossed my mind, since I hate the smell...

what would be the problem with drilling and welding in a nipple at a rear facing angle to your exhaust system? Out of the CAC system and smell would be in with the exhaust which in theory would be such a small amount when mixed with the exhaust you would think it would be hardly detectable?

also, if you did it right, wouldn't the exhaust passing over the nipple create a vacuum on the line helping the system similar to when it is in the intake system???

#18 ·
Hmmmm... I don't see why not :dunno:

I kinda like the sound of it :)

#20 ·
I figured that would be a fix it solution to get the best of both worlds.. I was gonna weld in a piece of pipe to my exhaust near my transfer with a slight bend in it.. have it pointing to the rear of the truck inside the exhaust pipe.. and then run the CCV dump hose back there and call it good.. :dunno:

#31 · (Edited)
I figured that would be a fix it solution to get the best of both worlds.. I was gonna weld in a piece of pipe to my exhaust near my transfer with a slight bend in it.. have it pointing to the rear of the truck inside the exhaust pipe.. and then run the CCV dump hose back there and call it good..
There are some LONG threads about why not to hook your ccv in the exhaust. The exhaust doesn't act like a vacuum on your ccv like you think and the added expense of measuring pressure, installing a pressure actuated one way valve at the end of the ccv mod would negate any cost savings benefit. I read a 13 page post few months ago either on ford trucks or powerstrokenation can't remmebr and I have been trying to find it.

long story short many have linked ccv to exhaust and its to expensive for the pressure sensitive valves.

#21 ·
That's taking one out of the old school handbook for sure, and I'm surprised it's taken this long for it to catch up in the diesel world, it's common place with a lot of drag racers. They don't want the oil vapor in their system either, and can't vent it down since then it'd get on the track. The biggest thing I've seen people concerned about is that if you DON'T get that angle right, you have a strong potential to pressurize your crankcase with exhaust pressure.

With the same concerns with the high HP 6.7 guys, and the larger volume of blowby that that engine makes, there's finally been a bit more R&D on our side of things in the A/M. Mike and the guys @ No Limit just released a catch can/exhaust venturi combo a couple months ago now.....

No Limit Catch Can Kit With Venturi

@Jeremy@NoLimit can hook you up if you want the venturi w/o the can to save on cost since we don't have as much blowby.

#24 ·
The biggest thing I've seen people concerned about is that if you DON'T get that angle right, you have a strong potential to pressurize your crankcase with exhaust pressure.
Yeah I could see that being a big problem

#23 ·
if you had a bend in it so the hole was in line with the exhaust center of the exhaust pointing so the exhaust passed over it directly inline.. I think that would prevent a pressurized system :dunno:

#25 ·
Maybe tapping into the elbow that receives your downpipe... that seems like the easiest spot to get it as centered as possible.. :dunno:

#26 ·
Just forget about the catch can and dump it like a real diesel. If you don't like the smell then leave it stock.

#30 ·
What emission station? LOL

Reactions: Sock Puppet
#28 ·
I didnt have time today to change to 1" all the way
I think ill just be going bare without a catch can and dump by the axle, thank y'all for the info hopefully its this and not a leaking turbo seal because like I said I haven't had time to run it with the 1" only cause the reducer is so close to the cap i dont wanna make another 45 mile trip home smelling that ill try it tomorrow though

#32 ·
Maybe the universes connected last night at 6:00 or something because I posted about this in the 6.4 forum while you guys were talking about it here.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-4l-performance-parts-discussion/1170705-ccv-evacuation.html

Long story short, I spent a good deal of time and money trying to dump the CCV into the exhaust correctly (SS welds, bungs, fittings, etc) and all I'm left with is a hole in my exhaust and a bunch of parts that don't perform. I dont know if there's not enough velocity to create a vacuum or I'm missing something but it's definitely not as simple as it sounds. At this point I'm used to the smell LOL

#35 ·
How are you determining that the system did not perform? Did you put a vacuum gauge on the line? Were you blowing oil out of the seals? I'm no expert, nor have I tried this on a 6.0, but it has worked very well for me on gassers with open headers in the past. Did you plumb it before or after the CAT and muffler? Straight exhaust? No restrictions?

The velocity is the key!

There will NEVER be enough velocity in these exhaust systems to properly create a venture effect on the CCV. The 4in (or 5in for those compensating) exhaust pipe is just too big.
I agree that higher velocity will create a higher vacuum, but with the proper installation, there should be sufficient flow to create at least a low pressure situation at the orifice, which wouldn't be any worse than an open to atmosphere option with zero vacuum to begin with. Obviously you would have to verify that you did not create backpressure in the CCV system and it may be very difficult to do that with the cat and muffler in place unless it venturi is post muffler. Also, while I like the looks of the No Limit kit, it does not appear that the venturi adapter has any type of check valve. I'd prefer to start with something like this.
JEGS Performance Products 52211: Check Valve One-way Check Valve | JEGS

#36 ·
The MAJOR issue with the check valve would be closing OFF the CCV and creating pressure in the system. This would net leaks as others have found simply running the catch cans. If the exhaust pressure was too high and kept the valve closed, although no exhaust is getting in the CCV cant vent either. This is a recipe for disaster. If it was as easy as it seems it would be common place and we all would have them.

#38 ·
not trying to start a debate but..

"There will NEVER be enough velocity in these exhaust systems to properly create a venture effect on the CCV".. wouldn't any velocity/venturi be more then venting to the atmosphere??

#39 ·
G8orFord, no need for a gauge. It's blowing out with just as much force as if it were just a hole. Put a lighter next to it at my first attempt but it wasn't needed. My trucks actually a 6.4, 4" from the turbo back with a muffler. I have the bung installed a bit downstream which may be the problem though.

#40 ·
Theoretically yes, but as seen it doesn't work in this application. Exhaust pulse also has to be taken into account even with a turbo there is still a pulse.

Edit:

Also I would argue that venting to the atmo done correctly would net a better velocity and possible venturi. I don't know how others have theirs, but mine runs back to the t-case and is a 45* angle cut and sits just barley below the truck. I imagine at a 60mph cruise the air flow past the dump would be much better then the hot exhaust/pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.