Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Black smoke rolling, surging, popping under load

7K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  kbf419 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was pulling a trailer with a small load on it. I went to climb a hill and noticed some lack of power, looked in mirror and I was rolling coal big time, the truck seemed to surge a few times, and it popped a couple times under the hood (like a backfire through the intake?).

Seemed to do ok on flat ground afterward, hit another hill and same thing as before.

So, after some reading I am pretty sure it was the EGR valve. I cleaned the EGR about 15k miles ago and it didn't look to bad then. So, I figure it has failed and I replaced it. Circle around the neighborhood, same problem!!

I decide to unplug the EGR and give that a go. Guess what? No smoke, surging, popping etc. I know some guys run with it unplugged. But I would at least like to hunt down the problem. Where should I look next? I am thinking EBP sensor and tube maybe?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

My truck is almost bone stock.I had all 8 injectors replaced and a new FICM a couple months ago and truck has been doing great since. HPOP was replaced about a year ago. I have noticed a slight surge when at idle on occasion, and sometimes has a long crank, if any of that helps.

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you leave the valve unplugged your fan clutch won't engage properly so you either plug it in or get the 7.3 fan clutch (I'll be installing mine hopefully Monday when my adapter comes in)

For the EGR and smoke I would start with checking all turbo boots and up pipes for leaks if they check out then I would do EBP. Alternatively, you could just get an SCT tuner and a custom tune that disables the EGR (your engine will thank you)

@toren302 any input?

Reactions: kbf419
#3 ·
I agree about the fan clutch issue. Part of why i want to find the culprit so i can plug the EGR back in. However i dont typically do much heavy hauling. I did pull my trailer about 100 miles through some decent hills today and temps seemed to be ok. It might just be my imagination but I think the turbo sounds quiter than usual.

I havent had a chance to turn wrenches today but did a little visual inspecting. The turbo boots all seem to be good. Replaced the hot side by the turbo about 6 months ago. I pulled the MAP hose and it was clean enough to eat off of.

Picked up a new EBP sensor on the way home, couldn't find a tube in stock. So i will replace sensor and clean tube first chance I get.

Any advice on best way to check up pipes? I've never personally checked them.

If I cant get this issue fixed I'll definitely look into the 7.3 clutch like you suggest.

#4 ·
For the EBP tube if you have a compressor and brake cleaner just alternate between the 2 or just the cleaner until you think it's clean.

For up pipe leaks look for soot around them or if you have a helper have them put the drive in R, brake to the floor and give it power till it starts smoking if you see any under the hood you have a leak.

Here's a good way to test for boost leaks RIP Ron

There's tons of info about the 7.3 fan clutch swap on here and after saying forever that I would do it I finally ordered the adapter Thursday + a NAPA clutch so I'm waiting on the mailman now.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/619954-7-3-fan-6-0-wtf.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1011433-bpd-7-3-fan-clutch-install.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...746585-bpd-7-3-fan-clutch-adapter-review.html

Reactions: kbf419
#5 ·
I think I got it licked! Pulling strong as ever and only a whisper of black smoke when I stand on it hard, which it has always done. Not exactly sure what the culprit was. I am suspecting the EBP sensor.

I pulled the sensor and tube. Neither looked very bad. Gave the tube a good cleaning and installed a new sensor. Since I had some pipe cleaners I decided to pull the MAP hose and give it a once over. I cleaned the nipple as well, which seemed to some blockage. Best I can tell the up pipes are still good to go.

Just FYI while I was cleaning the MAP hose I noticed a crimped spot in it. This crimp apparently came as a result from getting trapped behind the arm of the heater shut off valve's arm. I made sure to route it well away from valve. Maybe this will help out with my MaxA/C. Couldn't really test that today due to a nice cool rain shower we are enjoying at the moment.

Thanks for the video. I will keep that in mind for future reference.

#6 ·
Well I thought i was out od the woods. Darn thing ran like a top for a good while. Now starting to surge and blow black smoke again even without a load. Not nearly as bad as it was the other day. Pulled plug on EGR valve again and life is good. Chances I got a defective valve from the shop? It seemed to worked flawlessly by hand

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.