Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dies in drive/reverse

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
2005 6.0 146K. SCT tuner on tow tune. EGR deleted, head gaskets and studs.
Sometimes after start up will put in drive or reverse will act like it is a standard trying to get moving in too high a gear despite have the brake applied. The engine will die unless I throw in back in park or neutral. If I throw it into 3/2/1 it will also stay running. It idles fine. When running runs great. No smoke no issues but occasionally lags from a start when driving. The odd thing is if I let is idle until warm I rarely have an issue with it bogging down with brake applied.

#3 ·
That was mentioned to me, I took it to a reputable transmission shop. I explained what it was doing, after 3 days I had to call them. I was told that " it didn't throw any codes" so there was nothing they could do. And for whatever reason it didn't do the symptoms I explained for them.
If it were the torque converter would it act up intermittently like that? Would it throw a code?
I did get a p0611 and p0674 code along with all 8 cylinder codes for injector circuit low. Read somewhere else that it throwing all 8 cylinder codes is highly unlikey of a major engine issue with it running and starting fine

#6 ·
Sorry Heavy GD. First time ever using a forum. The truck does this no matter what tune mode it is in. It is random. Sometimes it doesn't do it. The next day it does it so bad I drive my other vehicle.
And again, there is no obvious engine issue as far as idle or pedal to the floor.

#8 ·
Oops. another detail I left out.
Yes sir I did check the fluid level and is at the recommended level I did this after running it for 20 for 30 minutes then letting it sit for 10 and then checking it.
This has been a frustrating ordeal my mechanic says it's not the engine and the transmission guy says it's not the transmission.

#9 ·
The p0611 and all injector low circuit codes look like a FICM to me. Do you have a monitor? Have you tested FICM voltage koeo, cranking, running?

Reactions: 7.3 powerchoke
#10 ·
CThurston09 is getting you on the right track here... Hook up a monitor and see if the voltage drops when you put in in drive or reverse.. If it does then good chance it could be the FICM.

#12 ·
You have a few options. Bulletproof Diesel FICM or send yours to ficmrepair.com would be the top two

#13 ·
you can also attempt a resolder yourself. sometimes reflowing some of the joints is all it takes. there are several tutorials on the net. nothing to lose trying...if low ficm voltage is the problem

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.