Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2006 psd with chirping sound from turbo?

3K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  ldapprich 
#1 ·
I think I had this posted in the wrong forum under the engine 911 so i am re-posting it here.

I have a 2006 PSD 6.0l that blew the turbo. Has 106k miles. I had a large truck diesel mechanic near where it blew up replace the turbo. Everything seemed to be fine but started noticing a chirping sound that would start at 2500 rpm but only with a load like pulling a trailer or going up steep grade. I have looked everywhere online to try to find something similar with no luck. The problem is getting worse and I need to find out what it is. Now the noise has gotten worse and it sputters after each chirp. It is still only between 2500 rpm and 2750 rpm. The more I push it on that rpm range the more it will sputter. If I push it enough that it down shifts, it all goes away and drives fine.
I have checked everything attached to the turbo, installed a 5” turbo back exhaust and have bought a Edge cts2 with EGT sensor to help diagnose with no luck.
Here is a link to it going up a hill without towing anything. It didn’t sputter much that you can hear but it would be much worse if I had a trailer on. I'm going to try to post another link later with the sputtering but it's hard to hear it.

#2 · (Edited)
Well I figured I would get another video showing it doing it a little more. I hooked on a 14' dump trailer and drove it up some hills. I have changed the fuel filters, batteries, pulled off and looked at everything coming and going to the turbo and just can't find anything. I'm not sure if there are some other gauges I should be looking at while driving but I haven't found any that look like they show anything while it's sputtering and making the noise. Also I feel like it does not have the power it used to have before the turbo blew and was changed.

I also added a clip of the exhaust. I put the 5" turbo back AFE. I'm not sure it's sounding quite right. Seems to hiss a lot more then I thought it should, Don't know if it's related to my problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#4 ·
After reading so many forum post that never had a conclusion I just have to give an ending to this one.

Turns out it was the turbo itself. I assumed that since I just paid for it to be replaced that it would be good and the problem I was having was from the previous turbo blowing up. When the first turbo blew up I went cheap and told them to do the remanufactured one. Turns out your money ahead on the new one.

It’s not all bad though. I just replaced it myself and stuck in a Garrett 772441-5002S PowerMax GT3788VA Turbocharger. Now with the 5” exhaust I put on is sound like a jet getting ready to take off every time I push on the pedal! I learned a crap load about my truck and now it’s running better then new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.