Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

IPR Valve fixed no start: Now rough/lumpy idle

8K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  AMFORD 
#1 ·
I just recently cured my no start condition by replacing the IPR Valve. But the truck started with a rough/lumpy idle.

It do not do this prior to the no start condition. Did I forget to connect something? Could It be the EGR valve?

I left it idling a while and it seemed to get just minorly better. Drove it on my driveway and the truck is missing.

#2 ·
Double check your FICM connections. Make sure you hear them click in. start it up and while its idling press the connectors in and see if that changes anything. If you can't get them to click in take a foot long piece of 5/8 heater hose and cut a slit through one side length wise and put it underneath the connectors then bolt the FICM back down. It fills the gap in between the valve cover bolts and connectors but is a soft enough cushion it's not going to damage anything

#4 ·
It's possible. Those pins could be making contact but the connections that go out to the injectors could not be making good contact and are causing it to misfire. Do you have any codes?

#6 ·
if the ipr hung open previously, you'd have a considerable amount of air in the system to purge. if you still have a long crank before it starts, that could be all it is. in which case some driving would clear it up

#7 ·
Reconnected the FICM. Started Lumpy. Took out the EGR valve to inspect and found it built up with a crazy amount of carbon, cleaned it out. Started her up, still lumpy.

Let it idle and gave it gas and it cleared up and now runs 90% normal.

I have noticed though now that the truck starts with a rough idle until warm and on occasion will miss/sputter while driving. I am thinking bad EGR even though I cleaned it?

#8 ·
Does it run fine once it's warmed up? Including driving? What's the mileage on your injectors? Sounds like it could possibly be some stiction

#9 ·
Once it is warm the truck idles and cladders normal. And only on occasion does it feel as though it will miss. It really only did it while driving 60-70mph, not so much slow speeds.

The truck has 131,000. Only thing weird to me is that it didn't ever do this prior to the no start bad IPR valve.

#10 ·
Could be a coincidence but it kinda sounds like stiction. No codes? Time for some archoil

#11 ·
Funny thing is that I just finished treating two tanks with it. No Codes... Does stiction eventually fix itself or is it an injector slowly giving out? And if so how do I know which one? I have a scan gauge II, but am sure it won't find bad injectors.

#12 ·
Stiction is a buildup of varnish on 6.0 injector spool valves. Once the valve warms up, it quits sticking. It doesn't get better over time only worse. You'll have to get an oil additive like Rev-x or Archoil to clean it up.

#13 ·
Like frostyshadow said, you need the oil additive not the fuel additive. You can pull all the injectors and remove the spool valve and polish the varnish off with some sand paper as well. This has helped many others including myself. You may be able to tell on a contribution test with ids but I'm not sure. If you're going to pull any out and clean the spool valves I would just do them all. Only pets you'll need is the injector seal kits and they're only 4-5 bucks each

#14 ·
Just put archoil in the last two fill ups. Is stiction a condition that will eventually correct itself or is it a sign that the injector is going to die out? Also, I have a scan guage II, what tool is used to see if injector are sticking or going out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.