Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Dead will not turn over

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Beerbait 
#1 ·
Just bought this truck Monday. Drove to NC mins from ATL. No problems till Thurs when it quit. Truck will not turn over. Dash works.

#3 ·
Battery's seem to be fine. All the bells and whistles work. Don't know a good mechanic in the area. The son of a father and son operation stopped to help and let them have the job. If any one knows of a good shop in Franklin NC please holler.

#8 ·
Try jumping the starter then you know if the starters dead or the relay wire is broken somewhere.

#9 ·
Please elaborate. You said it quit on Thursday. Do you mean it just quit cranking or that it quit going down the road?

#10 ·
Quit going down the rd. Sounded as though it ran out of gas. Went to crank it and nothing. All of the dash lights work as well as the radio lights and dingers. Motor will not turn over. I'm new to the diesel world but pritty good with cars and stuff. Never had one quit like this. Point me in the right direction and a swift kick in the a** and I'm on it

Reactions: JER-1
#11 ·
So it stopped running while going down the road and now it won't even turn over? I'm trying to rack my brain thinking about something that would cause both symptoms. About the only thing I can think of might be a hydrolock due to coolant ingestion, but it should still click when attempting to turn over. Even a FICM connector (the FICM to PCM cable) would cause it to stop running but would still allow the engine to turn over.

Also, as far as a monitor goes, you'll want either an Edge Insight CS/CTS/CTS2 or a ScanGage2. Here's a link to the devices and some PID's to monitor. The Edge devices will pull Ford-specific codes, so if your truck has set a code, it should be able to pull them. I have no experience with the ScanGage device.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

#15 ·
Don't forget Torque pro (cheapest option if you have an android)

The only thing I can think of is the PCM failed but I think the dash would stop working if it did.

#13 ·
Using BulletProof Diesel's shop locator, there are 2 shops within 100 miles of you. I can't speak to whether they are good or not, but they knew enough to become a BulletProof Diesel installer, so know something about the 6.0 and 6.4 platforms. Without codes or a monitor, we'll probably just be guessing what the source of the problem is. Since you just bought it, is it a possibility that you could get your money back?

BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0 and 6.4

#14 ·
Pull the serpentine belt and see if it will turn over then. Could be a locked A/C compressor. Were there any smells when it quit? You could also pull the glow plugs to see if there is a hydrolock condition.

Do the injectors buzz when you turn the key on?

#17 ·
There were no smells when it quit. No smoke and no strange noises, just died. I'm supposed to talk to a ford service tech from the dealer tomorrow . This was offered Saturday when I informed the dealer of the issue.

#18 ·
We found a rats nest under the battery cover on the drivers side. Right next to the module. Two wires are frayed from them chewing on them. We have found that the modules are not communicating thus locking out the fuel system and the starter. Now just to find the wires. Thanks everyone for all your input

On a brighter note it is a egr delete and we assume head stud rebuild. It has the upgraded oil cooler and a few other goodies.

#20 ·
Hurrah we found the wires and have fixed them. The truck would not start after repair. So we took another pcm off of another truck and it runs fine with the change. This would indicate that the pcm is bad, shorted out. Ford wants $1100 bucks for a reman unit. I can get one off of a running wrecked truck for $350.

I have been in contact with the dealer that sold me the truck and I think I have talked them into helping out with the repair charges. I know just good negotiations on my part. Or they are tired of hearing me poor mouthing. I will have the shop that has been working on the truck put together an invoice today and send it to them. Anything helps.

#21 ·
Glad that it was easy to figure out and thanks for posting up what you found. Good luck getting the seller to help out. :thumb:

#22 ·
Picked up my truck today, wow, what a difference. It seems as though the new pcm has a fairly hot tune in it. Is there any way to tell what kind of tune has been installed?
I was able to negotiate with the dealer for them to pay half of the repairs. They have been great to work with so they will get my business in the future

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.