Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 suddenly won't make more than 700# of HPOP

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Fiberguy1911 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. My 05 f550 all of a sudden started making black smoke lost power. Starts and idles but won't make more than 700# of HPOP. Ipr pins at 84% off idle. Limping to a dealer tomorrow since I'm on the road working the truck. What's the consensus?

#3 · (Edited)
I don't have access to air to test and no time to pull the ipr. I'm still new at this but seems weird that it happened kind of out of nowhere while driving. She started right back up after I shut it down the day it happened and the ect eot was in the 190's so no hot start problem. Is the black smoke a separate issue or will high pressure oil failure do this too? Seems to me that might be a little head gaskety letting compression by enough to restrict ignition....

#4 ·
So trucks been sitting since friday. Drove it to dealership and it ran like a top. I explained when it was hot it wouldn't build any oil pressure and the IPR was pinned at 85 percent. They found a rusty
fuel filter. So they changed the fuel filter and did NOTHING to the HPOP system. Now my question is if headgaskets are bad, which my are definitely on the way out would this create these symptoms?

#5 ·
I think you possibly had debris sticking the IPR wide open. Something goes through the screen or a piece of the screen itself went in there and somehow worked its way out. Leaky head gaskets will not cause it.

#6 ·
Picked the truck up after the dealer closed. I left the lot and got 10 miles down the interstate and lost power. Truck will start after a long crank. According to my scanner appears to be making between 800 and 1000 pounds of oil pressure but just doesn't want to start. They charged me close to 400 dollars to figure out I was due for fuel filters.
I'm pretty frustrated.

#8 ·
Dealer has found that the valve that switches tanks was all munged up and smells all kinds of burnt out. I had switched from the rear tank when she lost power. Fuel gauge jumped up but the valve never moved. Pulled all kinds of detritus off the bottom of the tank. Last time I drove the truck it was making proper oil pressure. Their telling me the defueling was creating the low high pressure oil pressure(say that five time fast). Could the lack of fuel cause this? Or do I have multiple issues here?

#9 ·
You have multiple issues...one of which is a dealership issue. They do not know wtf they are doing with a 6.0
Go elsewhere.
There is no correlation between fuel pressure and High Pressure Oil. The HPO pump isn't controlled by the PCM. It flows oil, period. The IPR is PCM controlled and controls the HPO pressure. If your IPR is at 85% that means that the PCM is asking for more pressure...which the pump can not supply. Hence a leak.
If you are only having problems when the engine is hot, it IS a High Pressure Oil system leak.
If your 2005 has never had the STC fitting on the HPO pump replaced, my wild-azzed stab in the dark is that that is the problem. Caution: An inexperienced tech (and/or less than honest dealership) will tell you that it is the whole pump ($750 ish part) instead of the fitting ($60 ish part). (Yes, the pumps can go bad...so it MIGHT be that..maybe)
Whatever is causing your hot-no-start has nothing to do with the condition of your head gaskets. It is OIL related. Your IPR is telling you that.

#11 ·
Agreed about the dealer, too bad the truck is 150 miles away from my home turf in Vermont. I'll be getting an accurate diesel air pressure tester. I've got the IPR socket with the truck now. Fuel pressure tester is in the truck as well. These guys are telling me that if the hpop is not getting enough rpm the ipr will open trying to increase the pressure. I was under the impression that the pump could make a lot more than 700 pounds just from the starter cranking it. I'll be back in NY later today and I'll do my own diagnostics. Just haven't had the time to get under the hood myself. I can't stomach taking a day off from my real job since I bill out 40 an hour more than the shop. Plus working under the hood in a motel parking lot just doesn't seem like a lot of fun. If they can't figure it out I'll have to bite the bullet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.