Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Strange starting issue

641 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Flooringit 
#1 ·
So if I park the truck for 24'hours or more and not have it plugged in. I can walk out turn key and nothing happens turn key again and again then it will crank but slow and then start. Now if it's plugged in and sat awhile no problems if it's been running and then started it will start no issues. Only does it when cold and not started in awhile. I had batteries tested today. Said they were fine. They are motorcraft about 2 years old. Started is original. Truck is a 07 outlaw 180k miles. All the updates and studs. Has a swamps Ficm. I'm thinking solenoid on starter. I have a brand new oem one sitting in garage. Didn't want to use it till needed thought I'd ask here first

#2 ·
Guess I posted this in the wrong section.

#3 ·
check the connections on the starter, could be some corrosion starting there.

#4 ·
I'd tap it with a hammer when cold and having trouble starting, and if it starts strong, I'd suspect the starter. You could then pull the wires and check for corrosion. From there since you have the starter, it'd be easy to swap that. I have an AutoZone Alternator and Starter I travel with in my tool box in case I break down.

#5 ·
Yeah it looks like a pia to take off. I let it sit all night not plugged in started fine but wasn't cold. I had corison on battery's so I cleaned it up. Still happened again after so I may have corison on starter. I was gonna start carrying the spare with me on trips. I drive regularly 8 hour trips for fishing tourneys. I hate to admit it I'm ready for a new truck. I dumped 6k in the one last year. Im on my 4th issue this year. Alt, air compressor. Now starting issue. I just don't want to spend 60k. I keep thinking save up 10k and just buy injectors , turbo power steering and water pump and just do them all hope tranny and engine last 100k more miles

#6 ·
So yesterday I got in and it started but the radio kept cutting out but the light wasn't flashing then all the sudden the blower turned up in speed. Like it had bee starving for power and when glow plugs shut off it allowed everything else to have full power the radio also quit cutting out. I'm starting to wonder if starter or alt have a short. My guess is starter. Sense sometimes it has no power when key is turned over. I have a new starter to put on but man it's been raining 4 days straight. With the lift I can't get it in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.