what steering wheel is everyone using for an upgrade? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2014, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what steering wheel is everyone using for an upgrade?

I'm not a fan of the steering wheels in these trucks at all, and my leather is on the verge of rubbing through.

i've been searching online for different ford wheels and came across a ford Escape, it looks like it might have the same size splines, and the back of the wheel looks about the same as ours.

still doing research on the airbag connectors,

I might pick one up just to try it out, you can get a base wheel for about 50 bucks, if nothing else it will make a good chew toy for the dog, lol

by the way its only the 08-11 wheel that looks the same, earlier wheels have a bigger ring on the back side, and later models are HEX like the 08+ superdutys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 07:47 PM

well that was a short lived dream, all of the connectors on the wheels are different to each other, to bad it would have been a nice upgrade,
I could deal with a disabled airbag but cant live without my cruise, lol
Old 01-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
From what I've observed from steering wheel upgrades, everybody swaps a newer year style or the f150 wheels, but the colors are not the same and it's not even close, actually looks worse than before they did the swap.

I'd like a newer style steering wheel too, but not if the colors are different. Like my 2000 7.3 tan interior is darker than the 2008 & 2005 tan interior, they're different shades. To me, when the 05 tan dash pieces are put in a 7.3 it doesn't match and looks like chit. So- what steering wheels actually match in color? Yeah you can replace the wrap around the wheel but not the air bag cover and surrounding plastics.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM

I thought about that too, but my whole interior is tan and wood grain, but my steering wheel and column is black, so if it is just the column cover and wheel that dont match is ok with me, but if I was going to go with a tan wheel I see your point and it would need to match.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:05 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucknut View Post
I thought about that too, but my whole interior is tan and wood grain, but my steering wheel and column is black, so if it is just the column cover and wheel that dont match is ok with me, but if I was going to go with a tan wheel I see your point and it would need to match.

Can you take a pic? That sounds like it looks good I'm curious to see it

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM

I just found the thread where a guy installed 04 style f150 wheels, but out of 11 pages the guy that did the swap was not very informative, one guy said his hit the highbeams on the other guy said his doesnt, ... I hate that on forums...
but I did notice the f150 wheel has the same style airbag connectors as the wheel I posted. the other controls could probably just be repined into the stock connector.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mts678 View Post
Can you take a pic? That sounds like it looks good I'm curious to see it

you want a pic of my stock black wheel with tan/wood grain interior?

Last edited by fordtrucknut; 01-11-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM

here is a pic I found online, I call it black but it is really a dark charcoal color
The Following User Says Thank You to fordtrucknut For This Useful Post:
mts678 (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel

That looks good, you'll definitely have no problem going with a newer style black wheel. I wanted to see yours to see if I could do something similar, but since I don't have any other black interior parts I don't think I could pull off a black steering wheel and or column.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm the guy with the f150 wheel, it's out of an '08 actually (truck is an '04) the back portion does hit the high beams on when I turn it, but I'm about to trim and plastic weld it so it shouldn't be a problem anymore.
The wiring I haven't tackled yet (lacking in funds and moved to GA) but I am going to get the clock spring from the '08 f150 and wire it into my column so that the wheel is PnP.
As far as color goes, I got a black rubber one with cruise buttons only out of a fleet truck, all black, no leather, matches my partially black interior just fine.

Last edited by yhatzee89; 01-27-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.