Interior Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interior Noise

So I just got through driving my first long road trip and I noticed a huge difference in interior noise in my 05 compared to my 08 with a lift and mt. What is the difference as far as padding and seals and everything? Is there anything I can do to quiet down my interior noise? I'm not concerned with the exhaust note, just all the road noise! Thanks for any insight.

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Take out the interior and dynamat everything.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 PM

But why the difference between the 05-07 and 08 and above? Is the carpet thicker or additional padding on?
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Bronco View Post
Take out the interior and dynamat everything.
That's exactly what I did and then some. I also put 1" self adhesive foam rubber inside the doors as well as under the cab.
As far as the 08 the 6.4 is much quieter then the 6.0. Not sure if they did something different for sound but you are right these trucks are noisy.
My truck now is silent especially when up to speed you can't hear any road or engine noise. It's a lot of work but well worth the effort.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. Ever heard of anyone using lizard skin?
Old 05-30-2014, 04:59 PM

Bringing up an old thread but I'm about to start trying to quiet my truck down. I ordered 36sqft of lizard skin Damplifier Pro for the doors and tranny tunnel. Only need 25% coverage. Also ordered the Excursion driver side hush panel from Ford which I got lucky and was able to get one from Ford. I'm also ordering some MLV (dB-3 4 ft. x 8 ft. Acoustical Barrier). then going to do the door seals with latex tubing.

Currently at 70mph, 1950rpm, no radio my truck is 80db. Hopefully I can get it under 70db. It's going to be a week before I get to this project, due to military field exercises.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:20 PM

I have heard good things about the spray on lizard skin, I have no experience myself but well versed on dynamat along with foam rubber sound matting. There is a fair amount of noise coming through the driver side firewall. Make sure to deal with that area.
I myself put the 1" self adhesive foam rubber against entire firewall as well as inside all of the doors (complete coverage).
I also installed a aftermarket carpet kit that had 1/4 rubber backing on it for sound control.
As far as the biggest problem areas go the doors and firewall is where the largest amount of noise comes through at. But if you really want a silent interior you have to do it all.
I can honestly say that my trucks interior is silent going down the road. It's like a Cadillac inside since doing all the DynaMat and all. The difference is stunning, I will take truck out and see what the db level is. I will report that back this evening if I can. I am curious what the # is myself.
Post up your results by all means with the Lizard Skin
Old 05-30-2014, 08:01 PM

Ok I took out my truck and used my dB meter.

Taken with a: "dBchecker DB01" Sound Level Meter

@ idle 51dB
@ 40mph 63dB
@ 60mph 66dB
@ 70 mph 67dB

Engine speed at 70 mph is at 1750 + or-
Truck has a 4" exhaust with a Donaldson straight type muffler
Toyo 38/15.50/18 M/T tires

Taken without the a/c fan going and no radio.

Yea it's quiet I should have took a 80mph reading but I doubt it is any louder then 70mph.
Wish I had data before installing sound proofing but I can say it was loud inside truck. It reminded me of the rides to school in the big school buses. Way too much engine noise regardless whether you like the sound of Diesel engines or not.
Yes it's worth every minute of the effort to install soundproofing.....................
Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 AM

Well I got the excursion hush panels today from a pick n pull yard for $25 and on the ride home it dropped the 70mph db by 1 on my phone sound meter. However at idle it is the most noticeable to the ear. All my sound measurements are for 60-70mph because honestly under that my truck is pretty quiet, in the 65db range. This week I'll be piece mealing the CLD, CCF, and MLV installs.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:37 AM
I Like Shiny Things :)

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I have heard good things about the spray on lizard skin, I have no experience myself but well versed on dynamat along with foam rubber sound matting. There is a fair amount of noise coming through the driver side firewall. Make sure to deal with that area.
I myself put the 1" self adhesive foam rubber against entire firewall as well as inside all of the doors (complete coverage).
I also installed a aftermarket carpet kit that had 1/4 rubber backing on it for sound control.
As far as the biggest problem areas go the doors and firewall is where the largest amount of noise comes through at. But if you really want a silent interior you have to do it all.
I can honestly say that my trucks interior is silent going down the road. It's like a Cadillac inside since doing all the DynaMat and all. The difference is stunning, I will take truck out and see what the db level is. I will report that back this evening if I can. I am curious what the # is myself.
Post up your results by all means with the Lizard Skin
Where do you get your 1" self adhesive foam rubber stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.