Swapping 99-07 door panels for 08+ ones... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Swapping 99-07 door panels for 08+ ones...

Well, as you may know by now, I can't leave my '05 F350 alone. The latest occupation of my free time has been researching any info for swapping my 05 door panels to the newer 2008+ style ones.

One reason I've not done this swap already was because up until recently, I was unaware that Ford was making the new panels in a more traditional gray color. I'd seen the "stone" color on the 08-10 models, but it really doesn't match the medium gray from 99-07 trucks. I recently noticed that the 2011-2012 XLT models are now offered with a gray interior. I can't say that it's exactly the same as our 99-07 medium flint, but it's gotta be pretty close.

Either way, I've ordered some XLT door panels (and 08+ wood switch bezels) and will be attempting to to fit them into my '05.

My understanding at this point is that the rear panels fit with only minor modifications (screw locations, etc). The fronts appear a bit more complicated. Why? I'm not totally sure yet. I have yet to see anyone post any pictures of what the problems are. Without seeing my panels in person yet, I'm still optimistic, but we'll see as things progress........ I can't imagine that Ford changed the doors that much in 2008.

Anyway, this will be another of my "quest" threads; Less about the wiring since Macoyle has already tackled that one... this one will be more about the actual fitment of the panels. ANYONE WITH INFO, POST IT UP!!!!

...to be continued...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
subscribing

I've seen several installs of these 08+ skins...and read about some guys having fitment issues...but like you, never have I seen anyone post up exactly what the "issues" were
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 AM

subscribing, but one question why dont you just buy a 2012 have a better motor and all these "extras" your looking for?? not meaning to take away from what your doing but wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve6L View Post
subscribing, but one question why dont you just buy a 2012 have a better motor and all these "extras" your looking for?? not meaning to take away from what your doing but wouldnt it be cheaper in the long run
Well, there's this little $30,000 difference in price. Spending ~$500 to install new panels is WAY less than the new truck. Even with my mirrors and other misc '08+ parts still has me less than $2k total. Even more, I don't have to finance that other $2k.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:47 PM

My 2012 rear door panels arrived today. The 2011-2012 gray is close, but is slightly different. It's a bit more "blue/gray" than the 99-07 gray. Not too bad, I'm just mentioning it. The biggest problem IMHO is the texture. The 99-07 texture is a bit more smooth, whereas the 08+ is much more pronounced.

Aside from trimming the door handle plastic surround (which I'll do if/when I commit to this swap 100%), and drilling some new screw holes in the inner door, it's a direct swap:

I do have the 08+ wood grain switch bezels coming.

At this point, I'm torn whether or not to buy the fronts... I'm open to comments.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:07 AM
Premium Member

This is what we call OEM + modifications on my VW Forum haha Thanks again for the mirror info and ill be subscribing to see how the door panels play out
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 AM

You can always have the new panels dyed to the older shade of grey. Probably cost a few hundred dollars, but worth it IMO.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 AM

Honestly, the shade of gray is close enough for me. The 11-12 XLT gray is the closest of any of the 08+ colors so I'm happy with it. My whole reasoning for jumping on these when I saw them was because I had never seen a gray 08-12 panel before.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i would rather see the comparison in the truck, fornt against rear ??? it looks close , but darker lighting may make it more tolerable, as is , i would be painting them.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:37 PM

How did you connect the wires for the windows n locks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.