King Ranch Dash - damaged. Ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
King Ranch Dash - damaged. Ideas?

I recently picked up a 2006 King Ranch. The previous owner had something glued to the dash right next to the radio. It looks like a big gob of superglue was left behind. When I went to gently scrape it off, it pulled the clearcoat that was on the simulated woodgrain. dammit!

so now I have this slight damage to the dash. I can't help but look at this blemish every time I get into the truck. I had considered some of the aftermarket dash kits, but I am not a big fan of those. Junkyards still want a fortune for the rare King Ranch dash.

My thought was to find a self-adhesive vinyl film and try to cover over all the wood grain inside. I found some digital camo with the colors of my truck (white truck with all the KR brown accents). Is that too wild? Would covering the woodgrain kill the luxurious look of the KR?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 04:20 AM

between my EGT /Fuel pressure/thermometer I bet I could find something to re-affix over the damage LOL

I think the digital camo would be a fail IMHO

worst case is keep your Eyes open for a used dash they take only a few minutes to swap
Old 07-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
This is an easy fix, you need to find a place that dose Hydro Graphics/water transfer printing in your area or you can buy kits online and do it yourself. It is the way that the dash and accent pieces were done original from the factory. As for patterns(there are 100s if not 1000s) that is up to you it is your truck, your taste, and your the one with the bank note. Personally I plan on having my dash pieces painted the same as color as my truck and then have them dipped with a carbon fiber pattern over the color. I have seen some before like this and it looks really good, my suggestion is to do a google search on it and you will see what I mean. but here is a video for ya to get you started.

http://youtu.be/EmcdGmYexd8

Last edited by Duncan's KR; 07-19-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan's KR View Post
This is an easy fix, you need to find a place that dose Hydro Graphics/water transfer printing in your area or you can buy kits online and do it yourself. It is the way that the dash and accent pieces were done original from the factory. As for patterns(there are 100s if not 1000s) that is up to you it is your truck, your taste, and your the one with the bank note. Personally I plan on having my dash pieces painted the same as color as my truck and then have them dipped with a carbon fiber pattern over the color. I have seen some before like this and it looks really good, my suggestion is to do a google search on it and you will see what I mean. but here is a video for ya to get you started.

Hydro Dipping Dash in Carbon Fiber - YouTube
I had forgotten about hydro graphics. My concern is the dash is one big piece. I am not sure if they can mask certain areas, or if they could even handle a piece that big. Probably if the $$$ is right they will (ha ha). It is certainly worth looking into a little further. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
as for doing one certain area that is not how they will do it. The dash bezel will have to be cleaned, primed, base coated, dipped, and then cleared. Take a look at this example for pricing North Texas Hydrographics water transfer printing DFWsince your only wanting the one part done I am sure it could be done for a reasonable price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.