Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My quest for (as close to 2008+ factory) fully functioning 08-12 power mirrors...

305K views 598 replies 120 participants last post by  dpl096 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: The project was a SUCCESS! The following pages are a step by step of the process(es) used to figure everything out. I opted not to use the factory extend switch (although it could easily be wired up and made to work). I used an aftermarket telescope/extend switch instead.

I've written a How-To for this mod. It's located here: http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/me...mirrors-into-1999-2007-sd-trucks-oem-way.html

Please use this thread to continue discussion on the OEM switch and operation here, as the How-To write-up doesn't allow replies.

I have had my eye on the 08+ power fold/telescoping mirrors for a while now. I finally picked up a set of 2011 OEM power fold mirrors a couple weeks ago. Now begins my quest to get them fully functional AND still keep things as close to factory as possible.

First off, the 2008+ trucks use two switches to control the mirrors - The first is a round power mirror control switch that included the power fold in it. For power extending, it has another rectangular switch mounted on the same bezel. My goal is to use both of those switches in my 2005 to get the factory look and function with my new mirrors.

To start, my 05 has the same switch/lock/mirror bezel that the 99-05 trucks had, and therefore had the square shaped mirror switch. The 2006-2007 trucks use a slightly different switch and bezel - Their mirror switch is VERY close to the 2008+ mirror switch and is the same size. The only difference (aside from wiring harness) is that the 2008+ switch mounts with the plug towards the front, whereas the 2006-07 switch mounts with the plug towards the rear. Aside from a very small notch required to mount the 2008 switch in backwards, it's virtually a direct drop in.

Pics for reference, 99-05 is on the left, 06-07 is on the right:

Here is a reference pic for the 2008-12 switch:
(Note the plug is actually 180* different than the 06-07 switch. I believe this is one of the reasons that people always report their switch controls are reversed after install/wiring 2008+ mirrors)

Here's one more; showing the 08+ switch and power extend button:

So, the basic plan is to install an 08+ adjustment switch into the 06-07 bezel that I bought and wire it up. The next is to install the power extend button in my dash. The previous owner had a toggle switch drilled into the lower dash to the left of the wheel, so I'm just going to cut that hole to fit the power extend switch and mount it there.

Obviously the wiring is another matter. Through my searches here, I've found the wiring diagrams/color codes for both my '05's factory wiring and also for the replacement mirrors. The switches don't look that tough - I'll figure that out and report back.

This process won't be an overnight thing, but over the next few weeks, I'll be updating to include new pics and overall progress. In the end, it should look as though it was completely factory and should function as such.

...stay tuned...

-Brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like a great mod. I will be following along, can't wait to see the finished product!

#3 ·
Do you mind saying what you paid for the mirrors? The local Ford Dealer's parts department thought they were made of gold when I priced them. I was quoted $1800 new.

#4 ·
$600 for OEM. eBay. ;)

#5 ·
#7 ·
Used - New, these things are like $1000+/ea.

AFAIK, all of the 08+ power folding/tele mirrors are OEM - I've not ever seen an aftermarket set of power fold/tele.

You can get a set of manual fold/tele aftermarket, but they're still like $500 new for the pair.

#8 ·
ill just throw this in there. i changed to the 06-07 mirror switch and with my pre-06 mirrors the controls are reversed. it has something to do with the switch and not really its orientation impo.

#11 ·
I think you're right - I'm hopeful that with the 2008 switch with the 2008+ mirrors, all will be well and this will be a non-issue.

#13 · (Edited)
I learned a few things today while researching some more about making these mirrors function "factory".

First, there is actually a wire harness available for the mirror switch:
3U2Z-14S411-DLA

I have tried to find a picture of this, but haven't been able to identify exactly what's included. It shows that it fits a number of 2004-current Ford vehicles. That being said, I can't conclude that it's 100% correct. Anyone ordered it and tried it?

Second, there is a relay between the mirror switch and the mirrors themselves. The part number is 8C3Z-14N089 (I've seen it with an "-A" at the end as well). I called Tasca and they offer this for $73.45 + shipping or $93 shipped on eBay.

Pictured here:

Should be fairly easy to connect wire to it with the plastic covered female spade connectors.

If anyone has any information on how this relay wires in (or a diagram), I've be very appreciative!

As for the connectors at the mirrors, I'm definitely going to cut the factory connector off of the truck side and the mirrors. I will be wiring in the mirrors to be removable as well; I'm thinking something like this:

MSD 8186 Electrical Wiring Connector Deutsch 16-Gauge/12-Pin Ea (085132081868) | eBay

That way I have a "factory look", and still have the option to remove the mirrors (I will be repainting the truck at the end of the month so they'll need to come off).

I'm still waiting on a few parts to arrive before I can really go any further, I'm just compiling the information I'm finding here.

#14 · (Edited)
SCORE! I believe I just found some really important stuff pertaining to the power mirror operation:

First, this is a drawing of the harness side of the connector for the relay (PN: 8C3Z-14N089-A). Keep in mind, this illustrates a MIRROR IMAGE of the actual pins on the relay, pin #2 and #4 are mirrored.

Second, I came across this wiring diagram, showing where each of the wires goes and what it does from the relay to the mirrors itself. I've noticed that the colors mentioned in this diagram DO match my mirror's colors. Sorry for the small size of the text, that was as large as I could make it w/o distorting it.

Has anyone else seen this before? In all of the searching I've done, I've never come across either of these until now. Looking at the diagram, this looks TOTALLY DOABLE! I've still got to figure out the factory telescope switch, but I have a feeling that'll be pretty straight forward.

#15 ·
Subscribing. This is awesome! Looking forward for more info.

#16 ·
I found a factory 08+ switch panel with the mirror control switch and extend switch WITH wiring on eBay. As it turns out, the plug is the exact same on the 08+ as it is on the 06-07 models. Since my truck is an '05, I needed the wiring harness. The 08 plug has 8 wires coming from it, I'm not sure about the 06-07s... Maybe someone can verify - This will help us determine if you'll need the wiring plug/harness if you've got an 06-07 truck.

I was able to quickly modify the 06-07 switch bezel to fit the 08+ mirror control switch. I just cut a small notch into the forward-most end of the switch hole. Very easy and the new 08+ switch fits like a glove!

Pics:

I also verified that if you're trying to install the extender switch into the factory 06-07 bezel, there just isn't enough room for it to fit:

ALSO - To those of you thinking you'll be able to fit the 08+ bezel onto the uppermost edge of the door panel; sorry:

Prior to today, I had not seen the back of the extender switch. Unlike the mirror control switch (which snaps in from the front of the panel), the extender switch snaps into the bezel from the back. Its clips snap into a corresponding clip on the backside of the bezel. That being said, I'm having doubts about successfully using this particular switch. My original plan was to install it into a hole that the previous owner drilled into my lower dash. Here are the pics to illustrate:

I've not completely ruled out using the factory extender switch (as I do think it looks 100x better than an aftermarket option), it's going to take some doing making it work. I'm open to suggestion and ideas on this one!

#22 ·
My idea is to move the factory mirror switch forward on the bezel then try and put the extend one behind it. If that wont work I am going to try and fill the power mirror switch hole. Then cut down the factory 08 bezel that already has the switches in it and position it however it takes to get it to fit. Just my thoughts. Havent got into it as far as you yet. Def keep posting up pics.

#18 ·
The plug itself is the same but any ideas how many wires the 06-07 plug has coming out of it? I'm curious if it has 7 or 8. If it has 8, I'm curious what it all does, considering the 2008+ uses all 8 and obviously controls the power fold.

#20 · (Edited)
I just checked my '05 and the factory connector had 7 wires. That would make sense - I bet the 06-07 is the same. The colors are different on the 08+ switch.

When you check your truck tonight, if you can, take a picture of the 06-07 connector for me so I can see what colors are where on the plug. Since the 08+ has different colors, I'll need to know which wires go where so I can match up my factory wiring.

I was a little concerned that the forward facing mirror control plug was going to interfere with the bezel's ability to clip into the door panel. Basically, you have to install the bezel without the switch in FIRST - then plug the switch in and snap it into the bezel. Once installed, it's a factory look.

Thanks!

#21 ·
Found more diagrams... My apologies if anyone reading this thread is sick of all of the pictures. First and foremost, I'm trying to document what I'm doing, but I also want to post all of the information I'm finding (plus, having all of this info in ONE thread will most likely wind up being very helpful for others) - I'm a very visually oriented person when it comes to these types of projects and I'd bet that a lot of others are - For me, it REALLY helps to see the pics, see the diagrams, and have every little detail broken down for me so I'm trying to format this that same way! :)

My wife is about to kill me for having the computer glued to my face for the last few days. Every waking free moment has been spent researching. It's dumb, I know, but the discovery is cool!

Anyway, as promised, I've found more diagrams pertaining to the power fold and even some for the power telescope switch (which I'd not found previous).

Mirror control switch harness pinout (truck wiring harness side):

Power extend switch harness pinout:

Power folding diagrams:

Power extending diagram:

...and one for heat, although this is just extra 'cause I'm just going to leave mine on all the time, just like the factory '05 ones do.

#28 ·
Sent........

#31 ·
Quick question:

Does anyone know where the factory fold relay on the 08+ is located? I may have located a used one, but have to describe where it is plugged in at.

#32 · (Edited)
...still working on things...

First thing - I'm working on some options for the power fold relay. I did actually find an aftermarket option available, but it's not any cheaper. It's available at CarQuest - P/N 56-2510. My local store quoted $113.50 for it!

Second - It dawned on me that either route I go with the relay, rather than use a bunch of female spade connectors, you can buy (semi-readily) 5 pin relay sockets that will fit the relay. They come with wire pigtails already on them. This'll be the way I go for sure to ensure a cleaner install:

Example:

Obviously both Ford and the aftermarket see this relay as something OUT of the ordinary - to warrant the price. Still, I'm not convinced that something like this wouldn't work in its place:

Santech/5 pin universal double pole single throw relay (MT0320) | Relay and Resistors | AutoZone.com

I don't know enough about relays yet to say whether it'll work 100%, but it sure sounds promising. I'm just wondering if there is any kind of timer built into the Ford relay that shuts the folding action off when it's done. Just applying 12V to the mirrors has told me that they'll continue to try and fold/unfold as long as they've got power. Plus, AFAIK, the factory fold/unfold is controlled by a push and release of the switch - You don't have to hold it down.

Anyone got any ideas?

#34 ·
Yup, no issues.

#39 ·
I've been doing some additional research on the power fold relay for my mirror swap.

While I have no concrete evidence yet, I'm beginning to suspect that the magical Ford relay is nothing special. I have done a fair amount of cross referencing and as it turns out, Ford has a few different relays for the power fold mirrors. Keep in mind that Ford F150s and even some Explorers have power folding mirrors. ALL use a 5 pin relay. The other part numbers I've come across are:

5L3Z-17L684-AA
5L3T-17L684-AA

Based on postings made in 2006-2009, these parts, along with the 8C3Z-14N089-A, were SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. It would appear that Ford has caught on to the fact that people are beginning to buy these parts for their projects. In 2006, the part number above listed for ~$25. Now it's over $100! Same goes true for the mirrors. Ford USED to sell them for ~$250, now they're like $1000+/ea. It's all about supply and demand. Even the blue spring fuel mod (for the 6.0) has increased in price.

While I may find out otherwise, I'm willing to believe (for now), that the power fold relay is nothing more than a standard 12V, 5-pin relay. I think Ford is just being greedy.

That being said, I've ordered a standard 5-pin relay from Autozone that I'll be picking up in the morning. I'm not ready to do the final install, but I should be able to temporarily wire the switch and relay to a mirror and do a little testing. Hopefully I can find something to work aside from the uber-expensive Ford relay.

#41 ·
You are probably correct. A few years ago the SVT tailights on the F150 were being ordered heavily to "upgrade" F150 trucks. The price tripled in a few weeks. Same thing happened with the Harley pinstripe kits for trucks. Keep up the good work.

#42 ·
I understand your desire for the factory look. I am only making a suggestion, not telling you how to work your project. How about a power rear window switch for the extend function? Keep up the great work and you are correct, many of us are visual.

#43 ·
Not a bad idea, really. It would probably work just fine if I could find one; it (at least the 05-07) looks like a front-installing switch.

If anyone has access to one with the wiring pigtail, please let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.