My quest for (as close to 2008+ factory) fully unctioning 08-12 power mirrors... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
My quest for (as close to 2008+ factory) fully functioning 08-12 power mirrors...

EDIT: The project was a SUCCESS! The following pages are a step by step of the process(es) used to figure everything out. I opted not to use the factory extend switch (although it could easily be wired up and made to work). I used an aftermarket telescope/extend switch instead.

I've written a How-To for this mod. It's located here: Wiring 2008+ Power Fold/Telescope Mirrors into 1999-2007 SD Trucks - The OEM way

Please use this thread to continue discussion on the OEM switch and operation here, as the How-To write-up doesn't allow replies.

I have had my eye on the 08+ power fold/telescoping mirrors for a while now. I finally picked up a set of 2011 OEM power fold mirrors a couple weeks ago. Now begins my quest to get them fully functional AND still keep things as close to factory as possible.

First off, the 2008+ trucks use two switches to control the mirrors - The first is a round power mirror control switch that included the power fold in it. For power extending, it has another rectangular switch mounted on the same bezel. My goal is to use both of those switches in my 2005 to get the factory look and function with my new mirrors.

To start, my 05 has the same switch/lock/mirror bezel that the 99-05 trucks had, and therefore had the square shaped mirror switch. The 2006-2007 trucks use a slightly different switch and bezel - Their mirror switch is VERY close to the 2008+ mirror switch and is the same size. The only difference (aside from wiring harness) is that the 2008+ switch mounts with the plug towards the front, whereas the 2006-07 switch mounts with the plug towards the rear. Aside from a very small notch required to mount the 2008 switch in backwards, it's virtually a direct drop in.

Pics for reference, 99-05 is on the left, 06-07 is on the right:

Here is a reference pic for the 2008-12 switch:
(Note the plug is actually 180* different than the 06-07 switch. I believe this is one of the reasons that people always report their switch controls are reversed after install/wiring 2008+ mirrors)

Here's one more; showing the 08+ switch and power extend button:

So, the basic plan is to install an 08+ adjustment switch into the 06-07 bezel that I bought and wire it up. The next is to install the power extend button in my dash. The previous owner had a toggle switch drilled into the lower dash to the left of the wheel, so I'm just going to cut that hole to fit the power extend switch and mount it there.

Obviously the wiring is another matter. Through my searches here, I've found the wiring diagrams/color codes for both my '05's factory wiring and also for the replacement mirrors. The switches don't look that tough - I'll figure that out and report back.

This process won't be an overnight thing, but over the next few weeks, I'll be updating to include new pics and overall progress. In the end, it should look as though it was completely factory and should function as such.

...stay tuned...

-Brian
WHAT HAPPENED likes this.

Last edited by Dante04SRT; 02-06-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dante04SRT For This Useful Post:
hotairgypsy (01-10-2014), rickabc (09-17-2014), WHAT HAPPENED (02-21-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:55 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks like a great mod. I will be following along, can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 01-09-2012, 06:18 AM

Do you mind saying what you paid for the mirrors? The local Ford Dealer's parts department thought they were made of gold when I priced them. I was quoted $1800 new.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:23 AM

$600 for OEM. eBay.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM

During my ebay check today, I came across this:

05-07 FORD F250 F350 DRIVERS MASTER POWER WINDOW SWITCH OEM LH | eBay

If your truck is a pre-06 and you are thinking of trying this same swap/install as me, you'll need this part. These seem to be somewhat hard to find; at least finding an 06-07 one was for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 PM

Were the mirrors new or used at that price? I need to look at ebay but don't like to use it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseepowerstroke View Post
Were the mirrors new or used at that price? I need to look at ebay but don't like to use it.
Used - New, these things are like $1000+/ea.

AFAIK, all of the 08+ power folding/tele mirrors are OEM - I've not ever seen an aftermarket set of power fold/tele.

You can get a set of manual fold/tele aftermarket, but they're still like $500 new for the pair.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
ill just throw this in there. i changed to the 06-07 mirror switch and with my pre-06 mirrors the controls are reversed. it has something to do with the switch and not really its orientation impo.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

I'm interested in seeing how these turn out.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I want to see this one too. I have the mirrors and the switches but need to figure out the wiring. I am only doing it if I can get it to look and function OEM. Looking forward to the progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.