"door open" dash light and interior lights staying on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
"door open" dash light and interior lights staying on

and yes I made sure the doors were closed

just bought the truck and when the truck or key is on, the dash light is lit saying a door is open. This, I believe, is leading the front and rear dome lights to stay on, even with no key in and the truck locked.

short term: how do I pop those lights off and pull the bulbs without breaking it to keep the truck from running the batteries down?

ultimately: how do I fix this? I'm assuming its a switch at one of the doors but it has 4, how do I narrow it down?

thanks
-Richie the newb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You can try lubing the door latches and working them but the door pannels come off in about thrity seconds can unplug on stwitch at a time or take then out and see which ones sticking
Old 07-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversuper View Post
and yes I made sure the doors were closed

just bought the truck and when the truck or key is on, the dash light is lit saying a door is open. This, I believe, is leading the front and rear dome lights to stay on, even with no key in and the truck locked.

short term: how do I pop those lights off and pull the bulbs without breaking it to keep the truck from running the batteries down?

ultimately: how do I fix this? I'm assuming its a switch at one of the doors but it has 4, how do I narrow it down?

thanks
-Richie the newb
Lubing the driver side latches worked for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

white lithium grease works for this or should I use something else?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 AM

If greasing it does not work, you will need to use a multi-meter to test which switch is bad. There is a single "door ajar" wire for each door. Set the meter to measure resistance; put the negative lead to ground, and use the positive lead to check continuity on that wire. If the switch is working correctly it will go to ground with the door closed and show OL when open. All doors with the exception of the driver's front can be found under the sill plates. Unfortunately, you have to go into the driver's front door itself to get to that wire. Wire color is going to depend on whether you have keyless entry from Ford or not.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:50 AM

Do the '03s not say which door is open? My '06 says "front left door open" and whatnot...

No additional input from me, the others got you on the right track The dome light covers just pop off. Use a flat head screwdriver and gently press in on the side with the little "notch" in it. They'll pop right out.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey~do View Post
If greasing it does not work, you will need to use a multi-meter to test which switch is bad. There is a single "door ajar" wire for each door. Set the meter to measure resistance; put the negative lead to ground, and use the positive lead to check continuity on that wire. If the switch is working correctly it will go to ground with the door closed and show OL when open. All doors with the exception of the driver's front can be found under the sill plates. Unfortunately, you have to go into the driver's front door itself to get to that wire. Wire color is going to depend on whether you have keyless entry from Ford or not.
does the wire go to the truck side of the latch or the door side? my truck has a remote for lock/unlock but no keypad on the door
Old 07-21-2011, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversuper View Post
does the wire go to the truck side of the latch or the door side? my truck has a remote for lock/unlock but no keypad on the door
Mine (I think, it was a couple of months ago) was a yellow wire with black stripe. It runs from the rear of the door, at the latching mechanism, through a harness that eventually runs through the little bellows-like rubber sleeve between the door and drivers side front pillar. From there, it runs up into the dash to wherever it goes. So, effectively, the only place you can grab this wire is inside the door itself. Be aware, though, that on mine (an '05), there were TWO yellow/black wires in that harness. It was the only one of the two that was grounded on door shut and OL when open.

However, what Acid said makes sense. As usual, I overthought the situation and tried to make the job harder than it should be . Mine does the same as his; I would think yours would too. Have you looked at your message center and opened/closed all the doors to see if it indicates an open door?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:03 AM

This is a common problem. A shot of WD40 into the latch will usually clear this up for most. Try that before you get caught up spending time searching for wires.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

mine is an 03, it just shows a little crew cab with all doors open. anyone with an 03 that can chime in? I hope its not all the latches....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.