backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics!

Hey guys, just finished my backup camera install, decided rather than have it come on in reverse, I'd wire it to my #3 upfitter switch. My headunit (avic) has a REAR VIEW function while driving, so I figured if I could turn it on on command, why not? Anyone else done this?

Also, where did you put your camera? I have an 08 tailgate, so I pulled the handle, drilled it, and put it in there (angled down of course). Anyone have any pictures? Here is my Install.
Attached Thumbnails
backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics!-sany1857.jpg   backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics!-sany1859.jpg   backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics!-sany1860.jpg   backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics!-sany1861.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Excuse the grass and mud sticking out from all over the truck, It runs better when I keep it dirty
Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Nice Idea. Do you happen to have a wiring diagram of how you hooked the camera up? I have a pioneer avic head unit and just bought a 08 tailgate with camera to put on my truck. The thing is the camera has a plug with 6 wires i believe and im pretty sure the plug on the back of my head unit is a rca plug...
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM

The avic definately uses rca cables. The backup camera lead is a brown one. I know the 08 camera has wires rather than rca's, but apparantly you can solder an rca cable onto it.

attached is the diagram for the 08 camera-I took a look at it, pretty self explanatory, although I am glad I went with an aftermarket unit.
Attached Thumbnails
backup camera-anyone wire it up on command? and pics!-08-video-camera-wiring.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
Excuse the grass and mud sticking out from all over the truck, It runs better when I keep it dirty
Sorry, grass and mud are inexcusable offenses.

You wired the power wire to a keyed-on 12v?

Nevermind, you used the upfitter switch. I'm kinda off today lol
Old 06-16-2011, 06:02 PM

And, it appears as though the camera in your 08 gate is 5 wire, not 6.

I hooked up the power to a switched key on input-namely my upfitter switch so I don't have to leave the camera on all the time, but if Im driving, I just flip switch 3 and I get a wide angle rear view camera. I think it's a much better idea than simply using it for reverse.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
And, it appears as though the camera in your 08 gate is 5 wire, not 6.

I hooked up the power to a switched key on input-namely my upfitter switch so I don't have to leave the camera on all the time, but if Im driving, I just flip switch 3 and I get a wide angle rear view camera. I think it's a much better idea than simply using it for reverse.
Yeah, I wired mine so I can just switch it on with the head unit. Pretty good idea if you've got the upfitter switches, my '04 doesn't.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM

The first picture is of the camera mounting in the gate-the second picture is how I ran the wire from the gate to the truck (there is a large metal shelf seperating the inside of the gate-getting the wire ran past it was difficult to say the least)-I put wire loom on it, and made sure it doesn't bind. The ground for the camera is behind the driver side tailight. The third picture is the routing along the frame, it is loomed and run through the e-brake cable holders (no longer used thanks to my lift). The final picture is how I ran through the factory rubber grommet in the firewall. worked well.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM

I was considering hooking it up to a key on power source, but honestly, its been irking me not having a use for my most of my upfitters and I figured the camera would last longer if I can turn it off when its not needed. Did you use the 08 factory camera?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I was considering hooking it up to a key on power source, but honestly, its been irking me not having a use for my most of my upfitters and I figured the camera would last longer if I can turn it off when its not needed. Did you use the 08 factory camera?
Who? Me?

I had a chrome hitch cover with the camera built it. kinda sucked when I need to tow which I hardly ever do with this truck, but sometimes it's needed. I'm waiting on a license plate camera I bought from a member here so I can install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.