ATC damper motor install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ATC damper motor install

My damper motor recently started slipping causing a thumping noise behind my my glove box. It is the small electric motor that blends the hot and cold air via a damper. I purchased a new motor and was wondering if there was a certain procedure I have to follow for the install ? Do I have to set it for full cooling or heating and position the damper acordingly before I snap it into place ? Or will it find itself once it has been installed ? Sory for the stupid question, but I would rather ask then cause myself a headache down the road.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited by jnjlizak; 12-26-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

jnjlizak,did you get it figured out.I'm asking because my truck the air from the vents flips from hot to cold when ever it wants.Was your's doing the same thing or was it just making noise.Thanks for any info.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Mine was making noise due to a bad damper motor. It sounds like you may have the same type of problem. Right behind the glove box is your heater core. Just to the left and on top is the motor that modulates the damper from hot to cold. I have a lariat which has the digital temp controls. After replacing the motor (30 minute job at the most) my problem was solved. I opened up the old motor and found a broken tooth from a plastic gear inside. About a year ago I had a different issue. My vent positions would not change. The air would only blow out the defroster position. That ended up being a bad relay which ran the vacuum pump under the hood. I hope this helps you diagnose your problem. If it is the damper motor behind the glove box save yourself some time and a major headache. Spend the money and buy it from FORD. I first bought one form Checker Auto. Got home, put it in and the damn thing didn't work. I had to do the job twice plus take it back and do a return. Should have bought it from Ford in the first place.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM

A few people on this Forum put me onto this dealers sight for parts. They are selling them at cost + 10% if you call them and mention thier website, or place an order online. Really nice guys to deal with. No one else that I have found yet can come close to thier prices.

Tousley Ford
Old 02-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info,I'm going to look into it.Hopefully going to bring it into my mechanic tomorrow to diagnose it properly.I'll check into Tousley ford also but I think the shipping may get alittle pricey,I'm in Ontario Canada.Thanks again for your help.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:16 PM

No problem. Hoped I helped :-) Let me know what you find for future reference.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It turns out it's the water pump.Had the truck idling outside at my mechanics and noticed the degas bottle filling up to over flowing,went to ford right away talked to the deisel service advicer and after a 15 minute discussion he said to try replacing the thermostat first which I did and it didn't fix the problem called him about it and he said it is the water pump.So I ask him if he was going to replace it since they had just put one in it in september under warranty,he said no because there is no warranty left on the truck now.So I'm going to call ford direct and see if they'll doing anything,I doubt they will though.So basically I'm looking at a $1000 repair bill to replace a 5 month old factory ford part.If I could figure out away to dump the truck with out getting sued I would.I think I'd rather put $5000 into my 95 dodge with the cummins then have to keep doing repairs on this thing and get very poor fuel mileage at the same time.It's a nice driving truck but not for $30,000 plus on going repairs.Anyway,Thanks for your help and I wish it was the same problem you had.LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.