Steering column Shroud question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering column Shroud question

I'm replacing the steering column shroud on my '05 Lariat. I'm puzzled about the screws and what's going on with the third one. In the pic below I have my new shroud laid open like a clamshell. You can see the screw bosses in the bottom half (there are 3 of them). Each one of these 3 bosses seats on a metal boss with a hole in it on the column. I'll try to get a good pic of that up later. The screws go up through the bottom shround, through the metal bosses on the column, then into the screw receiving points in the top shroud; but there are only 2. I looked at the metal boss on the column and the screw does not bite into that.

I can't tell what was there originally because my shroud was a bit jacked up and only had 2 screws in it.

So looking solely at what I have, I have to think that either there is only supposed to be 2 screws that hold the shroud on, of there is a screw receiver thingy that's supposed to be part of the column.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Hemicbx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 05:07 PM

Well, I must have been looking at the column hardware incorrectly. I fitted the shrouds and all 3 screws found material to secure them. I can't exactly say at the moment what that 3rd screw bit into, but it definitely ran in nicely and the shroud is held in perfectly.

Sometimes its the simple the simple things that make the biggest difference . . .like a perfectly fitting, un-hacked-up steer shroud

Hemicbx
Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM

I am trying to remove the shroud off of my truck and was wondering how to remove the shroud from around the key area. I can't figure out how to remove the plastic piece around where the key goes in.
Thanks, Cole
Old 11-08-2010, 03:34 PM

Cole,
You gotta pull the key cylinder out. After you have the 3 screws out of the bottom and the bottom cover off, put the key in and turn it to ON. There's a little hole in the bottom directly below the key cylinder. You stick a pin punch up in there to release the catch ball and pull on the cylinder. Then, the upper shroud comes right off.

later,
Hemicbx
Old 11-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, I will try removing it this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.