Bad ignition key switch? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad ignition key switch?

Wondering if anyone has had a similiar problem. My 05 dings like the key is the ignition after i take it out.And i have to jiggle the key hole around to make it stop. Makes locking the doors a real pain!They keep unlocking themselves.A couple of times there has been nothing i could do to make it stop.There must be some kind of button inside the column?

It makes me crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I second that one... Drives me nuts too. Mine is doing the same thing. I guess the tumbler must be wore out? That's what I was going to try.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was hopeing that someone would post some ideas on how to fix it. or even how to disconnect the damn thing. if it never dinged again it would be alright with me!key pad on the door not worried about locking the keys in it.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Here you go bud, thought I would pass on the info I found. It worked on my 05 too. Don't let the long description fool you. It was no more then 10 min start to stop. 3 Screws and your done. Once you find that black with pink stripe wire I just lightly pulled and the little sensor came right out and annoying ding was gone

The Link: That annoying door chime is finally quiet! - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Kwikkordead's
1999 Ford F-550

That annoying door chime is finally quiet!
Well folks this was a real easy one. After reading some of the posts here on FTE about how to shut up the door chime with the key in, I took the plunge. I started by removing the three screws that hold bottom half of the steering column cover. The cover basically falls off, revealing the black with pink stripe wire going up to the ignition lock tumbler. You can't miss it, it's the only one going to the base of the tumbler. Turn the key to the "on" position and push the retainer button on the bottom of the tumbler housing and remove the key tumbler. The button is located about a key lengths distance from the hilt of the key as it's inserted in the lock. It looks like a small ball bearing in a hole. Just get a small screwdriver and push on the ball bearing and pull on the lock tumbler at the same time. Out she comes. Ok now remove the top half of the steering column cover. Examining the black/ping wire you will see that it comes up to a small horseshoe plastic retainer that fits onto the bottom of the lock tumbler housing like a set of dentures. Simply slide it out of it's groove and wrap it up with a bit of electrical tape and stash it under the tumbler housing. That part is done. Now you know that very annoying lever that you must push on to get the lock tumbler to turn all the way to the off position and remove the key? It's held down with one bolt. With the cover off of the steering column it's a 30 second affair to remove that annoying little lever that was put there by Ford's liability lawyers. It's a Torx fitting. I didn't bother with going to the tool box and getting one, I just used the pliers that were handy sitting on the floor while I was working and it came out easily. Put the top cover back on the steering column now. Insert the lock tumbler now. Turn the key off. Install the bottom cover. Now you can insert the key in the ignition with the driver's door opened and the chime will not sound. You turn the headlights on it it WILL sound. Key in or not.
One last thing. Go under the driver's seat and unplug the electrical plug under there to shut up the seat belt chime. Now the next time you get in the truck and turn the key on you will only hear the chime tone one beep and that's it with the door open and the seat belt unbuckled. Just please keep wearing your seat belt. I heard a fireman say a long time ago and it stuck in my mind. "I have never had to unbuckle a dead person."
Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you so much!!! love this site. cant wait to do this on my next day off work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.