Diesel fuel smell in the cab of my F-250 Lariat - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Powerstroke Interior Discussion This Section is for interior discussion

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Diesel fuel smell in the cab of my F-250 Lariat

About three weeks ago, I began to notice the smell of diesel fuel in the cab of my F-250 Lariat. I've looked to see if there's any fuel leaking around the fuel filter located top, front of the engine as well as any of the fuel plumbing but I don't see any.

Has anyone directly delt with this problem before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when this happened to me my fuel filter cap on the motor was warped and very very very slowly leaked i didnt see it at first look i thought it sounded odd but that was the my issue hope this helps you out
Old 10-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

What kind of truck do you have? I had the exact same problem on my 08 and the dealer was never able to find out why....luckily it was a POS and I got rid of it. It seemed to happen when I had the vent/heater flow turned off and the windows cracked open, but it was annoying.
Good luck,
Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 06 F350, with the same problem. with fuel leaking mostly does it when its cold. But I found the problem(s). The fuel rail lines running from the fram rail pump to the fuel filter leak. there are male and female ends that have a oring inside that leaks. In oder to see them you have to take out your intake from the rubber boot forward. they are right next to the oil dip stick line. cant miss them. If you hold each side they should have very little movement. if they have alot that means the rings are bad. the stupid part is $185.00 cuz you have to buy the hole line set up from ford. its a pain to fix. the other part that leaks is the top fuel filter cap it does get warpt and will not seal right, one more is the lines going into the top fuel filter and out of it. teflon tape fixed mine. Only thing I have heard of beside these problem that I had, was the lines cracking but you can see the cracks. it all on the driver side of the truck. hopefully this helps you out.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Hi, I'm new to the boards. This is my first post. I have the same issue. light to moderate fuel/diesel smell in the cab. 05 F250 6.0, bought it used with 40,000 about a month ago and just becoming familiar with it. When I open the hood I can smell fuel also. Where is the fuel filter? I understand that there is also a plug to drain water. Don't mean to hijack the thread but the problems are similar. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Premium Member

The Ford service manager said they didn't smell anything. I was there with the manager telling him there's fuel vapors coming through the vents...He just looked at me and said "I don't smell it." How do you deal with that? Anybody I've ever pointed it out to can smell it. Sometimes passengers comment on it.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i took mine in a couple times before anyone figured it out
Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

Im not sure if your talking about raw diesel or exhaust smell of diesel There is a flex pipe or something from the turbo they leak and fumes come in the truck more so with the vents on ask your dealer my dealer is fixing mine for free
Old 11-12-2009, 10:05 PM
Premium Member

The more I get into it, I can smell just a slight sent of exhaust when I'm driving. When I pull up to a light is when I smell what I think is fuel although I'm not so sure it's not exhaust also. Might sound funny, but I'm not all that experienced with the smells on a diesel truck. But I'm leaning more towards fuel.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel daddy View Post
Im not sure if your talking about raw diesel or exhaust smell of diesel There is a flex pipe or something from the turbo they leak and fumes come in the truck more so with the vents on ask your dealer my dealer is fixing mine for free
Is there going to be a significant difference, say like on a gas motor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.