Gauge Installation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 04:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gauge Installation

Was wondering how involved things get when putting a gauge set in. Was thinking about a 3 gauge pillar mount...Egt, trans and boost. Been looking at the Autometer C-2 series (since they match the dash gauges).

I know the egt has to be drilled and tapped. What about boost and trans temp.?
What about routing wiring?

I'm a machinist by trade so drilling and tapping ain't no problem. But I get a little worried about sticking holes in the thing that gets me into town.

Appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2009, 04:51 AM
wriott

very easy to do. the hardest part is drilling and taping things. but you already are good at that so it will be easy for you. just plan out where you want to put things first and make sure you have enough wire. it takes time but well worth it. there is a port on the drivers side of the trans you can put the trans temp into. the boost gauge just tap into the intake elbow or into the map line, for the EGT put it into the exhaust manifold as close to the head as you can get. good luck
Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
Gauges arent bad at all, just time consuming

boost gauge is hooked up through a T fitting in the Map line, it's the easiest one to hook up.

Trans temp sender screws into the driver side of the transmission. there's a plug that you take out and replace with the sender. Ran those wires upp through the shifter cable boot.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The install is easy just take your time and make sure you have everything necessary to do the install. I put mine overhead because I use my handle for getting in and out of the truck. Wires are routed through a hole in the firewall.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Sounds like it won't be too bad to do. Appreciate all your help. Course sometimes finding time to do things is the worst part of a project.

Thanks for the picture f250ford. I was kinda thinking of putting them overhead because of the grab handle too. Sometimes at the end of the day it takes all the help I can get to get these old bones poured into the truck seat. Your install looks very good.

Do the Autometer kits come with everything needed?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Too cool for school

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to taylorking Send a message via Yahoo to taylorking
pm'd you
Old 06-15-2009, 01:12 PM

If your doing the pillar, take off the 2 covers, undue the the 4 bolts. BUT THATS NOT ALL!! on the top mount and the bottom mount for the handle there is on screw on each. I used s stubby fillips to get it out. Otherwise you will rip either the pillar or the handle. I found the screw before I hit it with a monkey wrench
Old 06-16-2009, 11:12 AM

Don't you already have a boost gauge on the factory cluster? If so, I'd recommend getting a fuel pressure gauge instead of another boost gauge.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
They generally don't inlude all the wire to get power to the senders for the gauges. If you check out diesel manor they have a great how to. I used a pillar mount and am etremely happy with the whole set up. I used isspro gauges they are accurate, good looking and reliable. I would not t into the map line. Do it right and tap the intake elbow. It is 4 bolts and easy to take off to tap. The egt probe is a little more difficult but after searching and reading a lot of post and logically reasoning I decided to drill the manifold with a small bit then re drill to the correct size and tap it. I cleaned it up and DID NOT USE GREASE. The grease can do as much bad as good and is not needed. The wiring is straight forward if you use the diesel manor guide. Other than about two rolls of 25ft wire and a few electrical conectors the kits are fairly complete..
Old 06-16-2009, 11:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
Here ya go!!!! Install Pictures
Gauge Installations at DieselManor- 2003-2007 6.0L Powerstroke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.