Bully Dog...ARF!...stupid? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bully Dog...ARF!...stupid?

Hey fellas, havn't posted in a looong time. Havn't really been driving my truck much. A year ago I bought a VW diesel and have been using that as my daily driver. Only been driving the truck when I need to haul something big or tow...which has been averaging every 2 weeks or so, sometimes longer. My truck's an '06 and I just turned over 35,000 miles so yeah, it sits a lot...but don't get me wrong, I start it up pretty regularly so as to combat the dreaded "LOT ROT"...haha. ANYWAY, my truck is pretty much stock other than a cat-back exhaust (in the next few weeks I'm getting a downpipe and cat delete ), pyro, and zoodad. Once upon a time I ran a Superchips tuner for little while and then sold it cause it was crap and my tranny hated it. I've always intended on getting an SCT, but havn't got up the motivation/green to do it. SO, recently I was able to purchase a BRAND NEW Bully Dog Power Pup for the pretty much wholesale price of $199. Crazy cheap yes. Call it an "impulse" buy. Haha. Yeah I know, I could have waited and saved up another $200+ bucks and just gotten an SCT from Innovative, but oh well...it's bought and now I have the thing and wonder...SHOULD I INSTALL IT?...and play with it for a little while and then sell it for $150-$175...OR...not let it anywhere near my truck and get an SCT ASAP?...HAHA My truck does not have studs or anything like that. If I drive the truck EASY for the first 100 miles or so and let the trans relearn the strategy should I be OK with the Bully for a while? You think it's safe to run the Extreme tune on a stock truck? I don't abuse my truck but I like to rip into it ONCE in a while. OPINIONS? MOCKERY? $199 was just a straight up 'crack' price at the time.

Last edited by DieselViking; 06-03-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Rice Hunter

I ran a Bully Dog w/ Outlook for over a year. I also have an '06. You can change the transmission tune to your likes. Follow the correct procedures for setting up the transmission. TAKES TIME BUT WORTH IT!! My OBC seemed to always want to take over the Bully Dog tuner. I just kept re-flashing it w/ BD. I pretty much liked it with the outlook. I switched over to SCT about 5 months ago. Shifts WERE MUCH SMOOTHER!! WERE!!! Funny thing.... this month i have missed a few shifts. Seems OBC trying to take over again
I say have fun with it but be careful if trans shifts BAD. Get That Exhaust Upgraded and think about some gauges to check yer EGT's
Old 06-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Yeah Freak, you're pretty much thinking what I'm thinking. That's +1 for running the "Dog". Now let's see how many dissenters/naysayers I get. The $199 for NEW was pretty seductive. Haha. Oh, I already have a Pyro! Hehe...gotta have that, even stock, cause I like to run WOT towing up hills, LOL.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Rice Hunter

MOST TALK SH!T ABOUT EVERYTHING THEY DON'T HAVE INSTALLED OR WHAT ONE PERSON HAS HEARD!! Don't leave negatives unless you have personally used/ran one!!
PERIOD!! I've installed both and can't say really all that bad about BD. YUP..... SCT has custom tunes that can be changed by different tuners. BD WILL upgrade for FREE and they do work with you. NUFF SAID!!!! HAVE FUN!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Lubbockguy1979
I shopped and bought my xcal2 for $130 shipped. Geez is bullydog that great? Maybe I should sell my xcal that has that stupid useless custom tuning with crappy customer support and actual tranny tuning done via the tcm along with this stupid 175hp rating.... I should junk the sct and down...... I mean upgrade to a bullydog
Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Freak View Post
MOST TALK SH!T ABOUT EVERYTHING THEY DON'T HAVE INSTALLED OR WHAT ONE PERSON HAS HEARD!! Don't leave negatives unless you have personally used/ran one!

I started out with the TripleDog/Outlook when I first started modding my truck, so while there is only one difference between that and the Power Pup, hopefully, it isn't that much of a difference to where you start flogging me for not have experiance with exactly the power pup. The difference isn't where it really counts in this discussion, which is tuning.

1. Any shift on the fly tuner(which BD is the only one to my knowledge) and/or module does not, I repeat, does not properly tune your engine, but it's very nature it can't do that and still truly be shift on the fly. They are mutually exclusive.

2. I had crappy shifts from performance to extreme setting, some don't, it's actually luck of the draw when you use canned "one-size fits all" tuning. You may or may not have shifting problems, but you run that risk. Now you do have the chance of shifting issues with custom tunes, but atleast you can get that tweaked with custom tunes, I wasn't able to have such a service performed by Bully Dog, maybe they offer that now, but they didn't 3 yrs ago.

3. Performance tuning wasn't all that it was cracked up to be from BD, however, it could have been that the tuning didn't agree with my truck. BD is unable to write programs specific to one's truck's strategy, which is a big issue as to rather or not you'll have good experiance with bully dog's products(or any canned tunes from any brand).
Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM

Been running the Power Pup for a couple days now. Loaded the Extreme setting from the get go, looking for some economy too, if I keep my foot out of it. Anyway, I guess I'll consider this my next step up on my way to an SCT...hehe...the Bully is WAY better already than the Superchips Max Micro was...shifts are a lot more positive and I believe it makes a nice bit of power over the Superchips. I don't flog my truck very often, so I'm not too worried about breaking anything just yet. I'll run the Bully for a while and then sell it on my way to the SCT. If the Bully is this crazy, I can't even imagine how nice the SCT is gonna be from what everyone says. Yahoo!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselViking View Post
I don't flog my truck very often, so I'm not too worried about breaking anything just yet.
When you flog it is just as important as how often you flog it. The biggest "when" concern is if you flog it before it has a chance to get up to operating temp and using the stock ECT gauge is not a good indicator of when it is truly at operating temp, I have yet to see my a/m ECT gauge get to operating temp at the same time as the stock ECT gauge. Just bare that in mind. Another issue is that at times, abuse takes a good long while to manifest itself to where you'll notice something isn't right. Just keep that in mind.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:42 PM

every1 iz sayin goods and bads about shift points...wut if the truck iz a manual ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.