What Scantool / Gauge to get? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Scantool / Gauge to get?

Hey guys,

I am pretty new here, second post, but I've got some questions that I can't seem to find a good answer to.

My truck recently broke down, cranks but won't start. I rented one of those scanners from Autozone, and pulled 2 codes, P0404 and P0405. I'm not sure those are the reason the vehicle won't start. It never ran poorly, it just wouldn't start one day (the night before everything was working perfectly when I parked it).

So, my question is, I want to be able to pull more than codes, and I am looking into getting a better scanner or one of those systems that also reads real-time data, since that could give me things like ICP so I can actually troubleshoot what is going on. From what I've read on these forums, my problem is likely something to do with the HPOP or at least the HPO system.

So what should I buy to do this? Scangauge II? Will it be able to work as both a diagnostic tool and a gauge later on? Are there better alternatives? Thanks guys,

Christian

2005 F350 6.0L PSD w/ 108000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The scantool that I use and highly recommend is AutoEnginuity with the Ford Enhancement License, which you will need to get anyway because you're wanting to hook it up to a diesel.

Second would be the DashDAQ with the Ford Enhancements as that will still be able to pull codes and sensors for the 9 modules that are available to us on these trucks. You won't be able to initiate system tests like you will with AutoEnginuity, but it's a little more portable(unless you get the PDA version of AE) and it will datalog and all that, it just can't program the modules.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 AM

I have the ScangaugeII, and use it as a dash gauge. Everything that Ford displays it will display, such as the Fuel Flows, Voltage, Load, Power, RPM, Instant Mileage, Boost, Fuel tank gauge, temperatures. So far I have not been able to read the fuel pressures, individual injector readings, I feel these are top in trouble shooting a diesel engine. The Diesel support is not as good as the Gas support. But for the price It is a great indicator, and possibly the best fuel economy unit available because the fuel economy is in the trottle positioning and driving style. It sure did show me what to expect from my truck.

I heard a lot other units will do more, but I can only talk about the unit I have. I feel that Diesel systems are not well supported by most Diagnostic units. I also Own the Proscan unit and its the same story for Diesels.

In addition the Hyperteck Max Energy units will be a 2 for 1 because they need to have no Codes on your truck to load in and they will erase them so your loading can be done. So far I use the ScangaugeII to erase any codes, because I have it in use all the time and its just pressing a few buttons to accomplish it.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Everything that Ford displays it will display, such as the Fuel Flows, Voltage, Load, Power, RPM, Instant Mileage, Boost, Fuel tank gauge, temperatures.

No it doesn't display all that is on our trucks computers. On the enhanced powertrain module alone there are 460 sensors specifically for the 6.0. The scangauge II doesn't pull that many sensors for our trucks specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
So far I have not been able to read the fuel pressures, individual injector readings, I feel these are top in trouble shooting a diesel engine.
That's because those are not in the computer, however, with DashDAQ you can add analog signals and route them back into the monitor so you don't have to get extra gauges to display those. You would route all the inputs to a "hub" and then one output from that hub goes to the DashDAQ(like a usb hub for computers).
Old 06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
No it doesn't display all that is on our trucks computers. On the enhanced powertrain module alone there are 460 sensors specifically for the 6.0. The scangauge II doesn't pull that many sensors for our trucks specifically.
So what is the best thing to get out there that displays all or at least most of what Ford can see. And will this thing perhaps tune as well? I really like the ScanGauge, because I want a system monitor as well as something that can diagnose and clear codes, but I also want good diesel compatibility.

Is there any way that the ScanGauge's xGauge thing can pull things like fuel pressure (ICP) etc? I emailed ScanGauge about it, and they just said that xGauge can program other things, and they sent me a link to their supported page, but I can't seem to figure out what is diesel and what is not.

Here is the response with the link:

Quote:
Christian,

The ScanGaugeII has default gauges and user-programmable X-Gauges that can
give enhanced data and vehicle-specific gauges. The default gauges include
voltage, ignition timing, intake air temperature, water temperature, RPM,
MAP, and speed. Some of the X-Gauges vary from vehicle to vehicle, buy you
can find a full list of confirmed X-Gauges on our website at
http://scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf. We are also currently testing
experimental X-Gauges for more enhanced data such as engine oil temperature
and others. If you owned a ScanGaugeII and were interested, we could give
you codes to test out and get the codes working.

Thank you,

Scott Ross
Linear Logic, LLC
Old 06-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bump. What kind of things are people able to access with AutoEnginuity's tool and the Enhanced-Ford package? Injector Control Pressure?

What about Scantool.net's ELM 5 and their ScanXL software with the ford package?
Old 06-20-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfstkid View Post
bump. What kind of things are people able to access with AutoEnginuity's tool and the Enhanced-Ford package? Injector Control Pressure?
All 9 modules and all the sensors that are with those modules. The enhanced powertrain module(that has you ICP) has 460 sensors on that module alone. Your also able to program some modules to chance tire size(up to 40 I believe) and you can disable seat chime and all that as well. You also get to read, store, and clear DTCs for all those modules. That alone makes this software worth it. After a couple of code readings the software is paid for considering the Ford places here charged 100 a pop to hook it up to the computer.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
All 9 modules and all the sensors that are with those modules. The enhanced powertrain module(that has you ICP) has 460 sensors on that module alone. Your also able to program some modules to chance tire size(up to 40 I believe) and you can disable seat chime and all that as well. You also get to read, store, and clear DTCs for all those modules. That alone makes this software worth it. After a couple of code readings the software is paid for considering the Ford places here charged 100 a pop to hook it up to the computer.
Which are you referring to? AutoEnginuity's Tool, or Scantool.net's ScanXL? Which scantool do you have?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realfstkid View Post
Which are you referring to? AutoEnginuity's Tool, or Scantool.net's ScanXL? Which scantool do you have?
AutoEnginuity. That's what I use and I highly recommend it. Worth every penny. In my opinion anyway.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Get Auto Enginuity. Priced right and great software
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.