Think I've got a big problem, need some imput.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jason.
Think I've got a big problem, need some imput..

Ok, so I had an xcal3 on my truck and I had it on the canned "tow" setting while I was moving and towing a huge trailer, something fell on the programmer and cracked the screen, so I couldn't get it off.. Found an xcal2 on craigslist for $120 shipped so I picked it up. Plugged it in to just see if I could set the truck back to stock wtih that other programmer and before I did, I read the stragety, same as it's always been, I select return to stock on the xcal2, and it returned it to stock so it said, and then the stragety code changed (weird?).

I drive it, and the exhaust sounds very different, alot deeper now, no smoke, and its kinda slow so I'm thinking sure it returned it to stock with the guy I got the xcal2 from's stock tune and stragety. Then i notice he has gogo diesel custom tunes, so I select street just to see, and it loads it, start the truck (actually started quicker than normal) and seemed fine. I drive it, and it HAULS ***, and has tonssss of black smoke (just like my old xcal3 did when I ran DJ's looney tune on it), but the exhaust sounds even deeper, and more like a 7.3 now.

Just wondering if now there's the xcal3's canned "tow" tune on it and the gogo diesel "street" tune from the other guys truck, or if it gave me his stragety code and using his tunes are safe, or if I should just return to stock, have the truck reflashed, and get some new tunes for my new stragety code??

Sorry for the book, but I'm just not in a position right now to screw something up now that the warrenty has ran out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
Ok, so I had an xcal3 on my truck and I had it on the canned "tow" setting while I was moving and towing a huge trailer, something fell on the programmer and cracked the screen, so I couldn't get it off.. Found an xcal2 on craigslist for $120 shipped so I picked it up. Plugged it in to just see if I could set the truck back to stock wtih that other programmer and before I did, I read the stragety, same as it's always been, I select return to stock on the xcal2, and it returned it to stock so it said, and then the stragety code changed (weird?).

I drive it, and the exhaust sounds very different, alot deeper now, no smoke, and its kinda slow so I'm thinking sure it returned it to stock with the guy I got the xcal2 from's stock tune and stragety. Then i notice he has gogo diesel custom tunes, so I select street just to see, and it loads it, start the truck (actually started quicker than normal) and seemed fine. I drive it, and it HAULS ***, and has tonssss of black smoke (just like my old xcal3 did when I ran DJ's looney tune on it), but the exhaust sounds even deeper, and more like a 7.3 now.

Just wondering if now there's the xcal3's canned "tow" tune on it and the gogo diesel "street" tune from the other guys truck, or if it gave me his stragety code and using his tunes are safe, or if I should just return to stock, have the truck reflashed, and get some new tunes for my new stragety code??

Sorry for the book, but I'm just not in a position right now to screw something up now that the warrenty has ran out.
These things are usually vin locked, unless Ford did what GM did on their trucks for a few yrs and overrun the use of some vin numbers.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
These things are usually vin locked, unless Ford did what GM did on their trucks for a few yrs and overrun the use of some vin numbers.
Aslong as you unlock it from your truck it'll work on someone else's.

I returned the xcal2 to stock, and the stragety changed back to what it was before, so that means that I was running 2 different tunes on the truck, ouch. lol

Also, I was wondering if I can hook my xcal3 with the broken screen to the computer, and transfer all my stuff (stock tune, etc.) to the xcal2, if so that'd be great and solve all my problems lol.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 PM

I think you should be able to dump it to your computer.....I think the program is called xc2 dump.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:11 AM

Well I got the stock file off my xcal3 onto the coputer, but now I can't put those onto the xcal2 because it's a different file type. What a PITA.

I'm just going to have the truck reflashed, get new tunes made, and hope for the best.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:22 AM

if you contact sct they should beable to give you what you need....you do the stock dump on the x3 send it to sct and theyll send you back your stock program. then you should beable to update your x2 with sct's help
Old 05-28-2009, 12:10 PM

I didnt know it was posable to have 2 tunes uploaded on the truck at the same time. I thought that once you download your new tune it uploades the current tune on the truck? mabye it was just because the truck was loaded with a different sct than the original but i thought the new tune would overrite the old one. If thats the case then your best bet to avoid any further complication is just to get a reflash and erase any tunes on the truck then get some new tunes for the xcal 2
Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM

btw, nice looking truck!
Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamW View Post
I thought that once you download your new tune it uploades the current tune on the truck?
I think it only does that when you are first "locking" the tuner to "your" truck. Once you do that, it then just overwrites the tunes that you put on there as long as you haven't reverted it back to stock.

My memory on this isn't all that clear, it's just from what I'm remembering when I was using the xCal 2. I have gone thru so many tuners since then. xCal 3, Spartan Phalanx, PT DIAG you name it.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01powersmoker View Post
if you contact sct they should beable to give you what you need....you do the stock dump on the x3 send it to sct and theyll send you back your stock program. then you should beable to update your x2 with sct's help
I'm on hold with SCT right now.

Thanks for the imput guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.