Non-VGT Turbo Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Non-VGT Turbo Questions

What would the II 62/80 support for HP with 190cc ij and a good custom sct tune? How will the top end be? Would it be a good tow turbo? What egt would it see? What can you guys tell me about it and would it be better than a vgt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
What would the II 62/80 support for HP with 190cc ij and a good custom sct tune? How will the top end be? Would it be a good tow turbo? What egt would it see? What can you guys tell me about it and would it be better than a vgt?
I don't think it would tow very well, although you could work some of that out in tuning. Might take more than a few tries to get it close though. I've got a 62/70 and its not laggy at all compared to the VGT off the line, but at low speeds/RPM's, once the converter locks going down the road, when you try to get back in to it it falls on its face and blows smoke until it lights again. I know I need to get the lock up loosened up a bit, maybe get the converter to lock at a higher speed or RPM but for now that's what I'm dealing with. My point is the bigger housing you'll have with the 80 will take that much longer to spool. My biggest thing with messing with my converter strategy is the more I loosen it up the more heat in the tranny I'm going to have to live with. I'll get it right eventually...

Powerwise, I think you will very easily see 500+ from this set up. Probably closer to 550. You're not going to have much at low RPM's but the upper end will be pretty sweet. EGT's I've heard are about 100-150* hotter than the 62/70 across the board as far as WOT is concerned.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM

Shu, I am really trying to figure out this turbo thing before my motor is done. I need to make up my mind. I have a chance to get the 62/80. So you think it will be laggy and smoke down low but give good top end huh? i know if I go vgt it will probably be the ATs VGT 4000 and or the II Hybrid. What do you think will be a good fit.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
My point is the bigger housing you'll have with the 80 will take that much longer to spool.
He should be able to tighten that up a little bit, help with a little of the lag anyway.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM
back in the saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
Shu, I am really trying to figure out this turbo thing before my motor is done. I need to make up my mind. I have a chance to get the 62/80. So you think it will be laggy and smoke down low but give good top end huh? i know if I go vgt it will probably be the ATs VGT 4000 and or the II Hybrid. What do you think will be a good fit.
Where I'm at right now I have half a mind to go back to a VGT. I'm not familiar with the ATS charger, but have heard it's similar to a VGT-HO from Elite which I think is too large for a 6.0 to spool well even though it's a VGT. My opinion as of today is if you plan on towing, stick with a VGT. My opinion might change if I get my issues worked out. I haven't heard anything too bad about the II hybrid, but if I was in the market for a modded VGT I personally would look at Elites VGT-SS or VGT-SSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
He should be able to tighten that up a little bit, help with a little of the lag anyway.
I guess I don't quite understand what you mean Tex. Do you mean tighten up by using a 70 housing instead of the 80 (the exhaust wheel is the same in both) or something to do with tuning?
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM

I hear what your saying but the ats vgt is a step down from the HO and I hear it works really well. As for the ss or the ssx, I am not sure about those numbers. I think the ATS 4000 vgt or something similar will do the trick. I hear so many good things about the non vgt then I hear the same guys once the switch have issues with tuning. i do have to keep in mind this entire california smog inspection stuff too. So that makes me lean towards the vgt turbos.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
the 62/80 isnt really laggy. the 62/70 may spool up quicker. and then the II silver 64 spools up just as quick as the 62/80..and when it lites, it moves pretty good
Old 05-26-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03f250stroke View Post
the 62/80 isnt really laggy. the 62/70 may spool up quicker. and then the II silver 64 spools up just as quick as the 62/80..and when it lites, it moves pretty good
So will the 62/80 support my mods............. and how will it be around town
Old 05-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to 03f250stroke
62/80 with 190s should be a nice set up. around town shouldnt be bad, you have an aftermarket ic. my buddy use to tow sometimes with his and he had 275s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.