Who's got the best tranny cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Who's got the best tranny cooler?

Subject says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Shaking the Bush Boss

Thought the 6.0 tranny cooler was the best...unless you run twin aftermarket coolers
Old 05-23-2009, 10:04 PM

I've been thinking about adding another cooler after watching my tranny temps on my recent trip towing Hwy 4 in the Sierra Mountains. Outside temps were only in the high 80ies. Tranny got up to 205 degrees. I thought that was pretty high... but what temps are you guys seeing towing in the mountains?

Once it got hot I really didn't want to cool off either. I expected to see my tranny temps drop soon after cresting the hill also, but the tranny didn't want to give up the heat. I was thinking another cooler would help get rid of the heat better.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:41 AM

My folks live in Sonora, so camping trips are pretty common in that area. I have been over Hwy 88 to Lake Tahoe and up hwy 108 in 100* weather pulling my 12k lb 5thwheel and never see over 180*. I do have a Mag Hytec Tranny pan, which does help some and also 4.30 gearing which I am sure helps alot. How much weight are you pulling? And what size are your tires?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Go with Mag tec and see what happens. Maybe its time for a tranny service. Temps seem kinda high given the outside tems. Were you in OD?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
Go with Mag tec and see what happens. Maybe its time for a tranny service. Temps seem kinda high given the outside tems. Were you in OD?
Avoid the aftermarket oversized tranny coolers like the plague. Unless you are doubled up on trans coolers as well.

If you are running an oversized pan with the stock cooler. The fluid will still get hot. But because of the extra volume it takes twice as long to cool.

If you are a 7.3 go with a 6.0 cooler or an aftermarket one with a fan.

If you are a 6.0 and getting hot which is unlikely unless you are running large tires and arent regeared. Get an aftermarket cooler with a fan and run it along with the 6.0 cooler
Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

I don't know much about diesels but in my gassers I have had very good luck with the B&M Super Cooler. It has an electric fan too.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mule View Post
My folks live in Sonora, so camping trips are pretty common in that area. I have been over Hwy 88 to Lake Tahoe and up hwy 108 in 100* weather pulling my 12k lb 5thwheel and never see over 180*. I do have a Mag Hytec Tranny pan, which does help some and also 4.30 gearing which I am sure helps alot. How much weight are you pulling? And what size are your tires?
Sorry for the delay, I've been distracted.

I also have the tranny pan. Don't remember which R&P I have, but it came with the camper package, so I'm pretty sure its got the low gears. On that trip the trailer was around 11k pounds. Tires are oversized... 305/70R17.

Tranny fluid was replaced by me when the new pan went on last year... then again by the dealer a few months later when I complained the tranny was shifting harshly. Tranny seems to be shifting fine now and with all the new fluid it got I'm confident it doesn't need to be serviced. Truck just turned 60k miles. I always put the tranny in tow/haul mode when towing too.

Last edited by swilson143; 06-19-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.