Exhaust question? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2009, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exhaust question?

Okay, I just bought a 2004 F350 and have a question about exhaust. I have an exhaust leak somewhere by the turbo. I checked and could not feel anything by the manifold. I believe it is coming from the pipe that flexes, maybe where it flexes, but i dont know for sure. I cant reach up there but can definately hear it leaking, plus I get a flutter in the motor. My question is do these aftermarket systems come with the part im looking for (flexible pipe)? Should i go with 4 inch or 5 inch. The motor has 160k miles and I dont want to blow the motor with too much exhaust but I do need to fix it. Any hints would be great, new to this whole diesel thing, thanks you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
an aftermarket exhaust does not come with the up-pipe you are asking about. the 6.0 did have a problem with the flex pipe leaking, but i am pretty sure there is an updated part. mine was leaking on the drivers side uppipe.
as far as the exhaust goes, you can go 4 or 5" if you want. personnaly, if i was to make over 550hp, i might think of getting a 5" but i bought a mbrp 4" and that is plenty enough for most people. get a little mirror to look back there to find the leak. mine also spewed a little soot against the firewall that helped me spot it.
as for the flutter, does it happen when you tramp on it then let off quickly? every 6.0 does that. totally normal. it is the residual boost coming back through the air filter from not being needed when you let off.

you will not do any harm to the motor if you go bigger on the exhaust. you will do it good by opening it up. it will breathe easier.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:22 PM

03ccf350
it flutters @ 50 mph cruise. there is no throttle pressure to speak of, real light. then when i come to idle it dips a little when fully stopped.
the mirror thing i a great idea. i will use it. 4" is cheaper so i guess i will go with it since im not modding it out. i just want it to breathe better.
having a leak will decrease mpg wont it because of the lack of turbo boost.

is ford the only place to get the up pipe?

do you have pillar gauges? i dont have a boost gauge and thought if i get pillar gauges i can check out what i got for boost, but since i dont have factory can i install it easily?
thanks for your help.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

trying to think of the flutter that you are talking about.

as for the exhaust, a leak will not cause anything detrimental at all.the only thing that a leak in the uppipe usually causes is a diesel exhaust smell in the cab cause it gets pulled in at the heater vent. and yeah, the uppipe can be bought from ford. i know others have a modded uppipe that gets rid of the egr cooler but that is on the passenger side.

yeah i have gauges. i have a quadzilla commander monitor. i do not use it as a performace chip, although you can. i use it strictly for gauges only.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:30 PM

well i quess the flutter would be like a miss. spit and sputter but light, if it was a manual im sure i would really feel it, i can really hear it more than feel it. when the tcc locks up you can feel it a little more but gets better when fully warm.
you are so right about the cab smell. i drove it 560miles and had the worst headache i have ever had.
can diesels miss? it doesnt smoke at all.
this thing has so much power its sick. i had a hemi and it sucked compared to this, i love it!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

yeah i guess they can miss. not in the sense that you are thinking. it might be having injector trouble, or plugged fuel filters. there are a few things it could be. when you say it gets better when warm, kinda makes me lean toward injectors.

as for power, if it does not have a tuner on it, wait till you put one of those on. its is VERY mild mannered right now stock compared to a sct tuned truck. think dr. jeckel and mr. hyde if you know what i mean!!!!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:26 PM

so like injector rebuild or wait till it gets worse? you cant but cleaner in diesel right?
i noticed you have a homemade egr delete, why did you do it and was it worth it?
dr jeckle mr hyde, really that much? the thing is crazy now...kinda wanna check it one out now. my truck has 160k miles on it so i think that would be a bad idea, unless these are just beasts!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

you can run an injector cleaner/lube like powerservice or dieselkleen or the likes.
the power difference is, without a lie, night and day. maybe you have a tuner like an edge or something inline under the hood and do not know it. with an sct, you can run the programs that come with the unit or you can have custom files written for you. that is what most of this powerstroke community runs as well as many other forums. most will tell you to run a custom tunes sct but its your truck so do what you want to with it. just the sct seems to be the safest in regards to tranny tuning and injector timing and things like that.

as far as the egr delete goes, kinda a little known problem with the 6.0. not trying to scare you of your purchase. some have problems, some dont. just like dodges, and chevys. there just happens to be more fords on the road so it looks worse.
i got rid of mine and countless others have to. you can buy the kit or lots make their own. depends on if you have access to such things as welding or fab skills. it really is pretty easy and lots on here who can guide a person through it. it seems to fail more often than not. but, hey, you may never have a problem like others as well. its just like anything, start moddin' and you need to beef this up here and that up there. unless you mod the crap out of it then drive it like a grandma.
lots of info here on the org. got to sift through it and you WILL find what you need to know. just ask.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:06 AM

wow,
thank you. so many things to do. on the oasis report the egr was replaced about 25k miles ago. if it goes bad again i will do the delete. i do have tech and fab skills, but have not found a "how to" sticky or anything. it is pretty hard to search this forum but im learning a few tricks in advance search. i will just keep searching. this site really is amazing. im gonna do some checking on this truck, i just got it 2 days ago and havent really checked out the engine compartment like i usually do, maybe this week. there are a few things that must be done first, then i will move on to the fun stuff.
03ccf350...thank you very much, how kind of you to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.