just picked up a newer 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
just picked up a newer 6.0

sorry the search function wasnt working much for me, i freaquent other forums so i know how annoying it can be to answer questions over and over but i gotta ask late model 04 XLT 4x4 with the 6.0/torqueshift auto and a brand new 8 foot fisher MM2. love it so far, big step up from the 7.3 IDI. truck has 46k on it, will be used as a DD, plows snow in the winter (also have a sander, but if i dont sell the IDI it will stay in that), and very occasionally tows either a bob cat or a car trailer

two questions:

1.) Guages, planning boost, EGT, and tranny temp, of course autometer on the pillar, how hard are they to install? mechanical or electronic?

2.) exhaust; 4" prefered? im planning a down pipe, not sure on keeping the cat yet, and either an MBRP or banks kit with dual tips. will one or the other keep theEGTs down more then the other, my cousins 7.3 with a banks kit tends to run lower then his bosses 6.0 with an MBRP kit but could that just be a bad tune? also, how come i cant seem to find exhaust for a straight cab long bed truck? links?

3.) Tune, ive heard a lot of innovative tune on this web site. Are they the best? Ive also heard alot about DJs loony tunes are they as good or any better? i know for gasser tunes ive always had good luck with Justins tunes from VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing, anyone ever try him? which is best? also X-cal 3 or livewire? if i do the live wire that also moniters the EGTs and tranny temp etc so i would not need the guages correct?

4.) whats the most boost stock head bolts can take? (and seeing as its a DD ill keep it a few pounds less then that), wheres the best place to buy ARP studs and is it best to just use ford gaskets? Im not doing this right away but when i have extra money im planning on picking them up cause id rather have them sitting in my garage waiting for when i need them rather then "seeing how long they last"

as it is now, i can get pics up tomorrow when hopefully my Dee zee headache rack comes in and the tint is done

Last edited by mustangman02232; 05-06-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 06:13 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman02232 View Post
sorry the search function wasnt working much for me, i freaquent other forums so i know how annoying it can be to answer questions over and over but i gotta ask late model 04 XLT 4x4 with the 6.0/torqueshift auto and a brand new 8 foot fisher MM2. love it so far, big step up from the 7.3 IDI. truck has 46k on it, will be used as a DD, plows snow in the winter (also have a sander, but if i dont sell the IDI it will stay in that), and very occasionally tows either a bob cat or a car trailer

two questions:

1.) Guages, planning boost, EGT, and tranny temp, of course autometer on the pillar, how hard are they to install? mechanical or electronic?

They aren't hard to install. It took me about 3 hours, but i was kinda screwin off half the time. ISSPRO is also a good brand to look into. Thats what i have and i love them.

2.) exhaust; 4" prefered? im planning a down pipe, not sure on keeping the cat yet, and either an MBRP or banks kit with dual tips. will one or the other keep the EGTs down more then the other, my cousins 7.3 with a banks kit tends to run lower then his bosses 6.0 with an MBRP kit but could that just be a bad tune?

Get rid of the cat definitely. All the 4" exhaust systems are the same. With your comparison of the 2 trucks and one running lower EGT's than the other, you must realize you are comparing apples to oranges, as the 7.3 and the 6.0 are totally different motors. The exhaust systems on them make no difference between the 2.

3.) Tune, ive heard a lot of innovative tune on this web site. Are they the best? Ive also heard alot about DJs loony tunes are they as good or any better? i know for gasser tunes ive always had good luck with Justins tunes from VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing, anyone ever try him? which is best? also X-cal 3 or livewire? if i do the live wire that also moniters the EGTs and tranny temp etc so i would not need the guages correct?

Can't really help you here, other than you need some gauges, you need some way to watch temps.

4.) whats the most boost stock head bolts can take? (and seeing as its a DD ill keep it a few pounds less then that), wheres the best place to buy ARP studs and is it best to just use ford gaskets? Im not doing this right away but when i have extra money im planning on picking them up cause id rather have them sitting in my garage waiting for when i need them rather then "seeing how long they last"

Its not so much the boost number, its the cylinder pressure during combustion, which increases when you get a hotter tune. Some stock 6.0s will handle hot tunes with no head gasket problems, others will blow a gasket with a stock tune. Luck of the draw really. I'd just stud it and get it over with.

as it is now, i can get pics up tomorrow when hopefully my Dee zee headache rack comes in and the tint is done
Answers in red.

And that looks like 4 questions to me.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
Quote:

two questions:

Very easy, hardest part really is drilling and taping the manifold.

2.) exhaust; 4" prefered? im planning a down pipe, not sure on keeping the cat yet, and either an MBRP or banks kit with dual tips. will one or the other keep theEGTs down more then the other, my cousins 7.3 with a banks kit tends to run lower then his bosses 6.0 with an MBRP kit but could that just be a bad tune? also, how come i cant seem to find exhaust for a straight cab long bed truck? links?

Innovative is a very good tune you will hear that a lot, a good amount are running cales tunes from bts and like them also, i personally have both and like both of them can't go wrong either way in my opinion.

Studs are not needed right away, a lot of guys do it for piece of mind, i've been running innovatives extreme street tune with not studs and have had no problem, but every truck is different, you can put them in right away or wait and maybe not put them in at all.

answers in red ...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
thanks for the answers. In MA though i do believe i need a cat(visual), so im guessing it would be worth buying the test pipe from the MBRP site and just swap in the cat at sticker time? or just weld a heat sheild over the exhaust pipe?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to zippy557
i have a cat delete pipe in for daily use and then at inspection time i just throw the cat back in for that.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Just gut the cat if you want.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Quote:
thanks for the answers. In MA though i do believe i need a cat(visual), so im guessing it would be worth buying the test pipe from the MBRP site and just swap in the cat at sticker time? or just weld a heat sheild over the exhaust pipe?
Cut it off punch it out and weld it back in. No muss no fuss, I have to do emissions too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.