Opinions on a Diablo Tuner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions on a Diablo Tuner

I know everyone on here gets all excited about "SCT with Innovative tunes," but I realize there are others out there, too. I tried out a friend's Diablo Predator last weekend on my 03 6.0 and was really impressed. I used the 65hp tune and got 27mpg on the interstate (a ~6mpg increase), and it gave great power. It also blew some smoke when you wanted it too . I have a EGT gage, so I can keep an eye on that.

Does anyone have any experience with this tuner and have any good/bad results they care to share? Also, I tried the 100hp tune and my truck ran pretty bad. I'm assuming I would have to upgrade injectors because it wouldn't blow any smoke at WOT. Is this correct?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not gonna come right out and bash it but I would look realllllllly close at whether it is properly adjusting your tranny or not with those tunes...
Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
i am sure it wouldnt be that bad on a manual. but everyone here isnt all about the SCT just cause its cool to have it is because of the transmission tuning which is very important when adding any power to your rig! i had a buddy that had the diablo he wasnt pleased so he sold it for a sct

- on another note on the 100 hp tune its not your injectors its the tuner that is making it run bad the sct guys are running 140 hp tunes on there trucks with just exhaust upgrade that is it.

*his is all just what i know and opinion.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies, and I'm sure an SCT is a great tuner, otherwise it wouldn't be in 90% of the trucks on this site. But we all know that there are other reputable brands out there. I just wasn't sure if this was one of them. I only know this one guy that runs a diablo. That's why I asked you experienced guys.

That's good to know about the injector thing. I really didn't want to spend 2K on a new set.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 PM

yea i understand totally! yea your stock injectors will hold a good amount of power!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Can't say much on them for a diesel. I did have one on my Lightning with custom tunes. It was fine until 'it lost the custom tuning somehow'. I called my then tuner and he said I would have to bring it to him or ship it. He also offered to let me trade it in on the then new SCT Tuners just coming out. The SCT has been on my Lightning since 04 with no problems since. I guess one would be fine if come by in a great deal of sorts. Personally, just get a SCT and whoever's tuning you trust. For me, it was Eric and Innovative Diesel. Good Luck
Old 05-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, I've been looking into this Innovative version of the SCT. I'm guessing you have to call them to request a specific guy's tunes. Also, does the custom tuned unit come with the same 3 or 4 tunes in all of his programmers, or do you have to tell him what you want? Sorry..I'm a bit ignorant on this subject!

One more: If you were to have to get some warranty work done, can you install your stock program with no trace of an aftermarket tune used?

Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:34 PM

to your second question yes it take a few minutes and you can have your stock tune reloaded for warranty work with no trace.

on your first question i think your bet bet is to call and they will answer your questions and let you know what you need to do. i have never delt with them personally we only have 7.3's and 6.4's. but i would defantly give them a call they would be more than happy to help you out
Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You call him with a list of your mods and what your looking for. Performance, economy, or towing and how heavy the loads will generally be. They will tailor the tunes to your needs. Usually you get three tunes. I have a towing, a street, and his extreme street tune. I told him my mods, and the fact I didn't have headstuds and was trying to avoid the cost of them. He put the tunes in the programmer and shipped it right out. You will need a tuner of someones to pull your strategy [unique to your truck], or you can wait for him to send you the tuner, use it to get the strategy out of the truck and then send it back to him for tuning. I already had another tuner for my Lightning so I used it. You could just borrow someone's for all of 2 min and just tell him over the phone and save some shipping and time. Doing this won't disable your truck or anything while your waiting on your tunes. Strategy is basically like a vin # I guess. I just know he needs it for tuning porposes.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:13 PM

How do you change tunes? Is it some kind of switch/knob or do you have to plug the handheld thingamajiger in and change it that way

*On the SCT that is*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.