Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

custom tunes detectible?

744 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Hickman 
#1 ·
Are custom tunes via a SCT tuner detectable by a Ford tech? I know high HP tunes might be due to burn patterns on the piston but how about a custom tow tune? I'm thinking about a custom tow tune for my 6.0 but its still under warranty so I'm sure?

#2 ·
If the tech has the means and the time, then I'm pretty sure that they can detect tuning. Rather or not he has that ability and time, I don't know, however, depending on how the tuner(the person) makes the power will also affect how easy it is for the tech to determine if a tuner was used or not.

Higher hp tunes rather custom or not at times have to have higher cylinder pressures to make those higher power ratings and that could lead to some problems.

Either wait til your out of warranty or be willing to foot the bill from now on just in case they do happen to spot a tuner being used.

#3 · (Edited)
A light tow tune is not much different than stock othere than it takes longer to get out of the gears, for that just use the tow haul. :)
Just ask for a hot street tune, say 80 or 90 Hp, with the trans shifts to be firm and you will be good.
I have one of those tunes and love it but can't seem to get away from my Panty dropper tune :}

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.