First Time PS owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Time PS owner

I am picking up a 04 f350 tonight. Looking for mods that help on MPG. Thinking a nice 4" exhaust system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The right foot mod has helped my mileage the most.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

True true. It is the cheapest mod but very difficult to install.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

tuner helps out.. fuel additive helps a bit too - i've noticed a small boost with my stanadyne
Old 04-24-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidjd View Post
Looking for mods that help on MPG.
Unfortunately your going to need to experiment as to what will give you an increase in mpg. People can come on here and say this helped them out or that helped them out. There is no promise that any of that stuff will help you out because there are too many factors that come together for mileage efficiency some you can control others you cannot.

More often then not people that say "this or that boosted my mpg" can't really say definitively that one mod truly did it boost it. Most people's best level of evidence(by most I mean atleast 51% as that would be technically most) is that "I did this mod or I started using this and then I noticed an improvement", while that mod may have contributed to that improvement, there might have been something else that did as well in conjunction with that mod. Might have did an oil change or even switched to synthetic oil(I have calculated better mpg readings when I have fresher oil in there). Wind may not have been bad or maybe driven in terrain that wasn't as harsh on efficiency(not as hilly etc).

Most people don't take into account the other variables when they do their calculations, it's usually miles driven compared to gallons consumed, that really doesn't give you percentages of what went there. If you knew an exhaust system contributed say 7% towards efficiency, it would take awhile to pay for that exhaust, same with the tuner.

I'm not saying the things listed above didn't help mpg, they very well might have, but how much did they help? That will help in determining if it will pay for itself for your use during the time that you will have your truck. Only way you'll know rough precentages on what contributes how much to mpg is if you do a whole host of other calculations considering other facts that I know I wouldn't do and I'm willing to bet damn near everyone else doesn't do them either.

The moral of this long winded post is in doing mods you might want to put focus on something other then mpg efficiency as your primary focus, while you might see an improvement, how much really goes to that mod you did isn't easy to determine definitively.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 AM

Quote:
I am picking up a 04 f350 tonight. Looking for mods that help on MPG. Thinking a nice 4" exhaust system.
I did the MBRP from turbo backwith 3.5 down pipe to 4" exhaust lol I should have just got a straight pipe for the down pipe and used 3.5 pipe to replace my cat and muffler and saved $550 dollars . No reason for big pipe unless your doing high HP !
Old 04-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This is nice to know. High HP? Above like 400?I am thinnking just an econ program.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
This is nice to know. High HP? Above like 400?I am thinnking just an econ program.

4" exhaust is recommended if your running a tuner and a 5" exhaust if you start messing with injectors and turbo upgrades. If you go to 5" with just a tuner, you'll actually lose some low end torque. You might be able to offset that lose with a good amount of overfueling, but I wouldn't go that route.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 AM

Then again if your not going Hp like over 400 yeah 3.5 will be just fine but 4" will cool your egt's dow some. But just a 60 or 80 eco tune I would not worry at all. Beside I had my street tune in and was pushing it hard as hell and could not reach over 900 egt's ...
Old 04-25-2009, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hickman View Post
Beside I had my street tune in and was pushing it hard as hell and could not reach over 900 egt's ...
Your pyro isn't post turbo is it? I could easily get past 900 with my tow or street tune when all I had was a tuner, hell I remember hitting that when I was stock with the truck trying to get baseline temps and psi to compare when I started using my tuner. Either your pyro is in the wrong spot or your tunes might be a little on the weak side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.