EGT question?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT question??

Ok well i have a bullydog pmt that i am using as a gauge set up. And i have the egt probe but its installed post turbo at the bottom of my down pipe. I dont have enough funds right now to install another egt probe pre turbo. So what i was wondering is whats the temp diffrence between pre and post turbo??? I mean my egts are usually around the high 600s to the low 700s on normal driving. But is that the same temp at pre turbo???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
There is usually quite a large difference between pre and post turbo with pre being a lot hotter....somewhere in the range of one to 400 degrees. The vast majority of folks run a pre turbo and some even run both, so maybe one of the more experienced will chime in.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed05 View Post
Ok well i have a bullydog pmt that i am using as a gauge set up. And i have the egt probe but its installed post turbo at the bottom of my down pipe. I dont have enough funds right now to install another egt probe pre turbo. So what i was wondering is whats the temp diffrence between pre and post turbo??? I mean my egts are usually around the high 600s to the low 700s on normal driving. But is that the same temp at pre turbo???
When you say bottom of downpipe, do you mean the bottom side of the pipe or have to get under the truck to get to it? If it is that far away from the turbo, it's hard to tell what your temp. difference is. If the probe is threaded into the pipe, I would remove it and install a plug and then drill and tap your manifold and put it there. There shouldn't be a need to buy another probe.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:30 PM

a reputable diesel tech told me as a good rule of thumb, theres an average 150 degree temp difference pre and post turbo. but i agree with above, tap into your manifold for your egt. not much of an issue around town, but when you're standing in it pushing over 1k its a different story.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
When you say bottom of downpipe, do you mean the bottom side of the pipe or have to get under the truck to get to it? If it is that far away from the turbo, it's hard to tell what your temp. difference is. If the probe is threaded into the pipe, I would remove it and install a plug and then drill and tap your manifold and put it there. There shouldn't be a need to buy another probe.
Yeah you have to get underneath the truck to get to it.....i had it installed before i really knew what i was doing.Also is the a right up with pictures on how and where to drill and tap the manifold???
Old 04-23-2009, 06:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm not sure there is one here, but there are several forums with that info. Drivers side manifold is typically where it's installed, but passenger side will probably give you better information.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Gauge Installations at DieselManor- 2003-2007 6.0L Powerstroke

Go to the second page and click on the pic that shows the EGT probe in the manifold.

As others have been saying if your EGT is post turbo like right at the turbo its prob a 150 difference, if you are talking 3 feet down the downpipe, Good Lord!!! its somewhere between 150-500 off who knows.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
wow it being that low i can easily see 200+ diff... prob more depending on how far down you installed it

-Raul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.