towing with performance prog. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
towing with performance prog.

if i keep my eyes on the gauges , can I damage something if I tow with a performance setting other than a tow prog. I just want to know if I have to change everytimes my prog. and I feel my performance prog is a lot stronger . give me your idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
wriott

you can if you want, i wouldnt recommend it as it puts more stress on parts for no reason. the only advantage of running in a higher tune is to go faster, blow smoke, and possibly break things. yeah it is fun once in a while but for doing it all the time i dont see a reason to take an unnessary chance.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks wriott, I was asking that because I have to do half hour road with my rig slowly , and wanted to know if I had to switch program,or I could break something
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM
wriott

i pulled my 30K horse trailer in my 140 HP tune and never had a problem (only did it a few times). oulling in that tune got annoying as the smoke covered the side of the trailer, got horrible mpgs, and was toooo touchy driving, i would pull in my econo or 40 HP tune and had no problems. but when im towing i am usually on the road for 12+ hours so i REALLY hate breaking down that far from home (and my tools)
Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

SOme chips don't have a "Tow" seting. Some just have HP levels. Watch your gauges if you don't have a tow setting. If you do have a tow setting like a TW, run one of the 2 he offers. I drive daily in heavy tow.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 PM

I wouldnt chance it just take the 5 min and change it to tow
Old 04-23-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriott View Post
i pulled my 30K horse trailer in my 140 HP tune and never had a problem (only did it a few times).
That's a really bad idea if your hauling horses in there. I have seen some horses that don't care for trailer travel as it is totally balk about having to go back into the trailer after something bad happening on the road. It really doesn't even have to be a bad thing like a wreck, it could just be hitting a pot hole going a little too fast, that translates into something very scary to a horse on shaky footing in a dark trailer that doesn't understand what's going on. So while the tune itself may not cause harm(but I'm willing to bet it will particularly with that weight back there), depending on cargo that might preclude you from using a high hp tune. I wouldn't use a performance tune with performance shifting(auto) even hauling a single horse due what it might do to the horse and how they handle getting back into a trailer. I can't have a horse(particularly a good show horse) not get in the trailer to go to a show, bad for business.

There are quite a few reasons why I can think of not to use a performance tune in the place of a tow tune(or a low(er) hp tune) rather or not your hauling live cargo and rather or not your monitoring gauges.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:46 AM
wriott

i never hauled the horses when i was in that tune, when i am hauling the horses around to the shows i have my freightliner hooked to it as the shows are most of the time 8+ hours a way. i only used the tune when i was working on the truck and the trailer to see how it would pull it, didnt like it and that is why i pulled in stock from there. horses are never in the dark as the trailer has drop down doors at the front and rear (never open, have windows) of the horses, and during the night the lights are on inside the trailer, but i have never had a problem with horses that didnt want to load or afraid of the trailer, most of the horses i have hauled love getting in the trailers and going to the shows.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriott View Post
horses are never in the dark as the trailer has drop down doors at the front and rear (never open, have windows) of the horses, and during the night the lights are on inside the trailer, but i have never had a problem with horses that didnt want to load or afraid of the trailer, most of the horses i have hauled love getting in the trailers and going to the shows.
Sorry, metaphorical dark as in not known what's going on. You haul horses in a performance tune and have some weird behavior from the truck(sharp fast shifts, quick accelerations) and deal with young horses that aren't trailer savvy as of yet, you run a very high risk. If the horse is a babysitter, then it could probably be WWIII and they wouldn't care.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:28 AM
wriott

100% agree
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.