SCT X3 Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2009, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT X3 Questions

So im really new to this SCT Tunes but what are the pros and cons of this Tuner and also i have the bully dog E3 right now and love it but dont want anything real extreme cause i like my headgaskets and aint ready to spend the money just yet on a egr delete. So with that in mind is this programmer hard on trucks is there certain mods that should be done first. Im just tryin to learn about this thing right now maybe down the road by one after egr delete. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks Guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2009, 05:10 AM
Chapter Director

im still learning myself i want to get one but what i have read is that strongly recomend headstuds, egr delete, and gauges. i also have seen people are getting away with out doin some of these things but be very careful. s**t happends
Old 04-17-2009, 05:34 AM

Get the SCT with tunes from Eric @ Innovative. If you are still under 100k miles (warranty) - run it hard a few times to tohse headbolts weak - Put her back to stock and go to the dealer complaining of antifreeze coming out of the bottle when you tow your 12klb trailer thru the hills... = New HG under warranty -- get em to put in ARP studs for you ($400), and new EGR.....

If it's a "Mod Friendlt" dealer - see if they will work with you on EGR...(Sneaky pipe), Delete kit, etc

Once Studs, EGR are addressed......get gauges...then

Load those Extreme tunes

PROs: - instant road domination
great power
great shifting
improved fuel mileage
people get out of your way
wild women flock to you

CONs: Tire wear - can't keep foot off
less fuel mileage - can't keep foot off
Tickets - can't keep foot off
Need traction bars - can't keep foot off

There's more - but they are cult secrets !
Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 AM

you've got a 4" TB so all you really need is guages. most people who write your tunes like eric or cale for example take into consideration all the mods you have done. these tunes are pretty much easy on your truck if your not driving it like its stolen all the time. once you get studs, there's always a 'hotter' stud tune you can get. the SCT shuts your egr off, but a delete would be added insurance. the ONLY con i can think of is lack of 'shift on the fly' capability. i run extreme street all the time and love it.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Antifreeze coming out of the bottle... what bottle and no offense but isnt that really risky considering i thought the head gaskets have to be blown to be replaced under warranty how would they tell if there weak or not otherwise couldnt i just call them up now and say that and get the ARPS put in. Sorry i really wanna get this done but i feel like its gonna be a while until i can get the money. So ill prob just have them write me up some custom mild fuel milage tunes thats all im really looking for anyways. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 AM

The Coolant overflow- Degas -
Power is Risky & $$$ - You have to determine if your local dealer is "Mod friendly"

I was able to ge ARPs installed and HGs, EGR done under warranty after installing Extr tunes and showing the dealer the white coolant on the outside of the bottle

If HG leak- pressure builds in coolant system and exits out of the pressure cap on degas bottle

Just sharing my experience
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM

Oh ok so just out of curiosity is that a good way to see if your headbolts are gettin weak then?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:33 AM

If you have some coolant coming out - you have extra pressure in the coolant system - it certainly is a sign of HGs going, but not conclusive- since the 6.0 is known for this problem, dealers needing work usually just do the HG job - they get a few $$$ from Ford

Talk to your dealer about it - just tell em you've noticed some white residue around the coolant bottle - bet they tell ya probably HGs..... from there, talk about warranty work and possibility to install ARPs if you buy them
Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 AM

Awesome man i really appreciate it who knows maybe i can get me some ARPS in out of this.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 AM

So i called up my local dealership and the service rep told me that its prob nothing to worry about cause go figure i do have white residue and he said that since im barely loosing any coolant and he said that the yellow coolant tends to do that he wasnt sure why but it does and that was about the jist of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.