Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

stock head vs. fire ringed head

792 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  redracer62 
#1 ·
OK, here is my question. I have to replace both heads. My current head that cracked was fireringed, cut and had hypermax gasket and studs. Should i do aftermarket heads with firering or should i just do the new factory heads with a good gasket and studs? Are the new heads that ford gets different from the heads put on the truck in 03? If so how are they different? I am hoping I don't have a bent rod too as a result of the hydrolock. Basically can i run 190cc inj with sct tuning custom and a non vgt turbo with completly stock heads with a good gasket and studs? And if i stay with the stock heads should I at least have them ported before they are installed?

#2 ·
just go with the MLS gaskets and get them decked. new heads from ford arent perfectly flat. the only difference in the heads is the dowl size, early 6.0's are 18mm and later ones are 20mm and the later ones have a bigger injector hold down bolt. unless your going to turn yours into a race truck, i wouldnt waste the money on porting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.