Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

egr delete

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  joe blow 
#1 ·
ok so my egr cooler is broken and if i can by pass that i will so i dont have to buy a new one but ive been reading on here about taking of the up pipe and weld shut the end that goes to the cooler and then weld the cooler shut will then that bypass the cooler and i wont have to worry about it? trucks a 05 and money is tight thanks

#3 ·
Your cooler is broken - as in leaking coolant into the intake? Is your truck crapping white smoke? If the cooler is leaking coolant, it's too late to block it off. It's toast.
Are you still under warranty? If so, I wouldn't risk trying to fix a busted cooler myself. If not, I still wouldn't risk trying to fix a busted cooler. Can you bit the bullet for a delete kit and install yourself? A delete kit is cheaper than a new cooler from Ford.
If so, when you block off the up-pipe on 05 and newer, there's a scoop in the pipe that should be cut out with a sawzall. Don't forget to do that before you put it back in.

#4 ·
so if i take out that scoop and block the up pipe off and that end of the cooler i should be good?correct?

#6 ·
ok looks of it is that my cooler is broken i dont see any cracks anywhere but maybe on the inside is mess up its pulled off the truck. so if i get a brand new cooler can i just put a plug on the cooler where that coolant goes in and comes out of? will that take care of it? and i had my buddy say that i should replace my oil cooler also cuz if my egr cooler went my oil cooler could of possible went what do you think? 120k on the truck as it sits 05 thanks

#9 ·
BLKF250,

You still have to reroute the coolant so it continues it's path. I would not buy another cooler and plug it. Get that POS out of there forever.

I just received First Coast's EGR delete. AWESOME PRODUCT! Excellent customer service, excellent welds. The modified intake manifold I received looks brand new. My current intake I have to send back is BAD inside from the 5 years of that CCV going into it. Can't wait to install it next weekend.

#10 ·
alright joe blow i looked at it and it seems good but i know people that can weld pretty good so cant i just do the samething weld that intake reroute that coolant in a steel tube...only question i got is that up pipe with the scoop in it if i block it off do i have to take out the scoop in there too or can i leave it in if i have to take it out why?

#12 ·
Hey funny thing i JUST did the same thing blew the egr cooler and i just did the delete for maybe 25$ canadian... real easy job there is a great write up in the tech files.... when it came to the exaust side i just cut off the flange and welded 2 washers into the flange and just used the clamp to hold it here is a pic

#13 ·
Several ways to do this, that's for sure.

I figured since I was in there, I am taking it all out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.