Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crank Case Vent Mod

10K views 54 replies 26 participants last post by  HVAC SuperTech 
#1 · (Edited)
I just Installed the kit from Stealth and NCHornet and it went on easy and with no problems. I wish I could have mounted the tank a little closer to the motor but I think it will be ok where it is. Its directly under the driver door on the frame could have went further forward but I would have had to cut a cab brace and didn't really want to get into that. All and all a excellent kit. Raul and Kevin did a really good job on getting this out,it keep your driveway clean not to mention your intakes thanks guys!!! I had to have 12 ft of hose instead of the instruction 8 to 10.

#3 ·
What doed the kit do? :dunno:

#8 ·
Opening up an old thread...
Anyone ever try using an air compressor air filter to use as the oil catcher/filter? Just hook it up in reverse direction and have a return line to the intake. Think it would work? It would be easy to check on levels cause it has a see though design and easy to change. The air stone shouldn't clog either if it's set up in the reverse flow. Whatcha think?

#9 ·
how much for the kit, raul post a link please

#15 ·
can someone tell me a little bit more about this....

#20 ·
exactly. NO PICS WILL BE POSTED ON THIS PRODUCT. Period end.

Jonstar, you wont buy it without pics? well, I guess you wont be buying one. Straight up, there LOTS of people on this site who have this on their trucks. Its not a cheaply made piece of crap. Raul wouldnt sell it if it were, and it wouldnt sell itself. IF someone wants to copy this design, well, thats their perrogative.
Kevin works hard on the design of it, and its how he wants it done. you dont like the way its done, you dont have to buy the product. Just like everything else in the world.
I will say thats its not a 20 dollar fix for an egr. you def got ripped there, and I am sorry you did. But Kevin dont play that (homie the clown? LOL)

And if he is the first to get the patent on this, so be it. he may not be the first to design one, but he might be the first in line at the patent office, again, its his product, his choice, let him do it HIS way.

This argument is done.

One final thing. It is a great product. I love mine.

#22 ·
Not again!!!!
I am not going to argue my decision on the photo thing, if you are one of these that needs pics sobeit, go by the Raccor kit and have your pic. There are many patents already done on this and mine may or may not vary enough for a new patent, so that means a patent search has to be done. Do you have any idea how it takes to do this? How many patents do you hold? Enough said, my lawyer doesn't even want me selling these right now let alone putting pics on the world wide web. But my lawyer doesn't pay for some very expensive meds that I need to live on each day, so I have to do what I feel is best for me and my family. If you can't understand this, I am sorry, there are plenty others that do and respect my decision. To all those that have posted support thanks. If anyone has any detailed questions on this shoot me a PM. I have over 500 of these now on the road, it works and it works well.
Have a good day.
NCH

#23 ·
Lee,
Mine isn't mounted as far forward as I would have liked as I had my coolant filter up front and have never taken the time to swap them. The only issue with mounting it that far back is you need to keep an eye on the supply line, if you use heater hose like most of us, it will soften in tim and actually sag. I change mine about every 3 years or so, only takes 5 min to do, but when you change your oil look for sage, if you have them, cut some off the end and pull it tight again, or place some zip ties to support it along the way. If you get to much of a low spot oil can collect and cause back pressure on the system, and you don't want that!!!
That goes also for the one wanting to use a air compressor dryer, NOT ON A POWERSTROKE!!!! There might be some using that on a ricer car, but there is no way it will work on a Powerstroke without causing back pressure, and these engines are very sensitive to back pressure, it will turn your powerstroke into a oil fountain real quick. So beware with doing your own testing!!! You have been warned. I am not getting rich of these things, not like many think, by the time I ship, pay Raul, buy the parts there isn't a lot left over. I do this to make it affordable for everyone, and hopefully people won't try and copy it and compete against me if they can't make a killing. So far it has worked, all though lately I have caught several members just trying to steal my idea to save a few dollars. I won't go into my feeling regarding people like this, most of you probably feel the same. But as I said if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me, but don't ask for photos.
NCH Out

#26 ·
That goes also for the one wanting to use a air compressor dryer, NOT ON A POWERSTROKE!!!! There might be some using that on a ricer car, but there is no way it will work on a Powerstroke without causing back pressure, and these engines are very sensitive to back pressure, it will turn your powerstroke into a oil fountain real quick.
That's the answer I needed, thanks.

I have been a member of this forum for less than a year and a powerstroke owner for the same amount of time. Every post I have ever read from NCH has been well thought out and very informative. This guy knows his stuff and from what I can tell, has always done his best to help others in every way he can. So to those who question his decision, that's your right i guess, but I know that NCH wouldn't have anything available that would do anything other than improve our trucks. Even such a small thing as a ccv mod. I feel that trusting someone is worth saving 100+ bucks on an alternate ccv kit. I picture is worth 1000 words, but is it worth an extra $150? Not for me. :icon_ford:

#24 ·
WOW This subject seems to come up at least once a month. I don't see where the big deal is for people to get all worked up. Like others have said either you buy it or you dont. And yes I have bought a car without seeing it befor and it worked out great for me. Its the F350 I have now. So dont see the big deal with wanting pics. If you know what you are looking for and ask questions before buying all should go well. I had questions on this mod a few months back and NCHornet answered them in a PM no problems. If for nothing else I will be buying one to get a good product at a great price and get to help someone out at the same time. Seems like a win win to me.

#25 ·
Thank you LBS, just let me know when you're ready and we will get one right out to you. I hope everyone has a great day!!

NCH OUT

#27 ·
k, thats fine.....but what does this do? explanation please......or I will go elsewhere.

#28 ·
If you need an explanation use the search function on this site, or google, bing, yahoo... pick your poision.... This mod has been talked about enough times that I'm sure you'll have no problem finding information.

#29 ·
No need, the factory system ( crankcase vent) dumps oil vapors directly into the intake. This makes your intake boots look real nasty when the oil saturates the boots and I have seen it drip into the valley and down the back of the engine making you think a rear main is out. Countless rear mains have been replaced for no reason because a mechanic was to lazy to follow the oil trail. When the boots get saturated it can cause them to blow off at higher boost levels. Many on here have seen my engine in person and my intake boots look like brand new and I haven't cleaned them since 2003 when I installed my first CCV mod. Some will make claims of better mpg, boost etc..... I think it is placebo and make no performance promises at all, it is a maintenance mod, and one I believe every PSD can benefit from. My CCV mod is the only one that I know that is Emissions compliant because I don't alter the factory flow of air into the intake. I simply reroute the air, clean it, and return it to the factory location. Some don't care about emissions and will simply vent to atmosphere after the canister, this can be done as well. Any other ? just PM me.
NCH

#33 ·
Kevin has explained this to a T.... I have seen his rig on many occasions. I liked the way his boots looked and have tried the MOD. I have now Had it on for a year and 40k miles later my boots look awesome. I am very pleased with the product and would recommend it to anyone.

#30 ·
Good product from a good man. How many times will you get the man who actually built this thing and users that have bought it come to bat for this product. Its 100 bucks, proven, and emissions compliant. What more do you need. Like Nick said Raul wouldn't sell it if it was a piece of crap just to make 100 bucks. I will be ordering one when I can. My boots, intercooler tubes, valley, and left side head have to be constantly cleaned because this mod is not installed.

#31 ·
thank you for the explanation, can i just order this off of your site? and does it come with good install instructions? One other thing, I already have the coolant filter installed so I can't mount anything up there, will this be a problem for me?

#32 ·
Some have found as much as a quart of oil in their intercooler when removing it for upgrades/maintenance. This can be attributed to the CCV as well. If you perform the mod and drain whatever oil you can find in the IC, you may experience a slight performance improvement there. Other than that, there is not performance increase, as NCH stated.

#40 ·
I recently just hooked my ccv back up stock because i was tired of all the venting oil blowing around. Does this mod work well? I just put new boots on my IC pipes today and 2 weeks after returning it to stock I already see oil in the tubes. I need to find a solution.

#41 ·
:icon_ford:

I think u just answered your own question...the ccv mod is great...keeps oily vapors in the canister. And flows clean air back to factory location. Highly suggest to cough up $100 for kit and then hose from Lowes is around $25 so $125 and no oil in intercooler?...how much were your intake boots?..this would of saved ya that money...:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.