Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Do I need studs and a EGR delete

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
I am going to put a turbo back four inch exhaust and an SCT with custom tunes on my truck very soon. Do I need to do studs and an EGR delete. This will be all I do to the truck forever. And of course gauges. Thanks guys.

#2 ·
I am going to put a turbo back four inch exhaust and an SCT with custom tunes on my truck very soon. Do I need to do studs and an EGR delete. This will be all I do to the truck forever. And of course gauges. Thanks guys.
ohhh how i've heard that one before :hehe:

you wont need them unless they blow, its nice to have them and if you can swing it under warranty then more power to ya..the egr delete is nice as well. i have both and my truck runs great, but see how everything goes, you may never have a head gasket or egr problem

#3 ·
IMO I would at least block the EGR. Delete and add security!! Get them gauges ASAP and watch EGT's

#6 ·
this is all the egr stuff...First Coast Diesel Performance

read up on there and you should understand how it all works, if you got any other questions just ask.

my kit is basically the same thing as what adam makes, he helped me make mine. ive been egr free for almost a year now and ive had my studs in for over a year. them two things the truck def runs nicer

#10 ·
really just a waiting game, you might blow your HG's or you might not, some get lucky and never do....most tuners will set you up with a tune that is safe for no studs (if you have none), and if you dont drive it like you stole it all the time, youll be fine.

#13 ·
I dont have it deleted yet, i blocked the flow of the exhaust to the cooler.. I just welded the up pipe and took the scoop out till i buy a complete delete kit. I dont have any pics of it though.

#19 ·
Thought i'd chime in on this. My 06 has the EGR unhooked from the up pipe and yes i will kick the CEL on.

#18 ·
my egr cooler to a dump, so its in the shop right now getting an egr delete, and they said i mine as well get head studs while ther are in there. It should actually be cheaper if your gaskets haven't blown cause then they dont have to pull the heads off, they can just change the studs one by one. The shop that is doing mine is taking the whole body off so mine as well, Just my two cents. good luck

#20 ·
It should actually be cheaper if your gaskets haven't blown cause then they dont have to pull the heads off, they can just change the studs one by one.
that isn't necessarily true..you can NEVER be 100% sure that gaskets arent slightly blown or full fledged blown without pulling the heads off. Taking the heads off is the RIGHT way to install studs.

to the OP, you do not need a full delete kit and studs to run your SCT.

I would suggest atleast blocking off the up pipe so the hot exhaust gases don't get into the EGR cooler, this will provide a longer EGR cooler life. With this and your SCT having the EGR valve disabled 95% you have a pretty good combo. I will agree you need to get a pyro gauge atleast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.