edge evolution? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
edge evolution?

Hey everyone, new here and have a question. I was looking at getting an edge insight with egt probe for my 06 with the auto. When I added it all up with insight, probe, and mount- the edge evolution is only like 30 bux more. It seems that a lot of people don't like edge because the old auto didn't like them. Is this still the case with the 5r110? I have no other mods nor do I intend to do anything other than upgrade the exhaust when its time. I also wouldn't really use anything other than stock or the mileage setting to try and get a few more mpg's with the evolution. I tow occasionally (11 or 12k lbs) and daily drive it. Please don't tell me to get an SCT- just isn't worth it to me. Insight or Evolution- thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
yes, even with the new trans, the evo is very rough on it
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade_beer View Post
Please don't tell me to get an SCT- just isn't worth it to me. Insight or Evolution- thoughts? Thanks!
How much is your trans worth to you? Edge products more often then not have caused alot of tranny problems, some got lucky and haven't experianced problems(yet), but the question is do you want to take the chance?

I wouldn't even bother with a "chip" in your case. Get some gauges, do the exhaust and let well enough alone. That would be the cheapest route to do and you wouldn't have to worry about putting on something that will be hard on the tranny or something that you can't afford to do to do it better then what your thinking.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
I agree with Mike and Tex. The edge is hard on the trans even on the newer trucks. If you program it go with a custom tune. If you are set on something like the evo II get with Bill and Corey at Power Hungry performance. Their gryphon programmer is essentially a rebadged evo II with great custom files on it
Old 03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks all. Thats the sense I needed talked into me. No to the Evo!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have the evo and like it. Its been on my truck since 2006 at 900 miles. I did exhaust and the programer together. The evo will let you adjust you wot shifts by creating a custom tune. All you have to do is firm up the shifts a little which does not let it slip between gears. Kinda like having a shift kit on the fly..

It comes with all the guages and can be changed to moniter things like coolant temp, trans temp, oil temp, egt's etc. I guess what drove me to it is you can upgrade over the internet as well as make your own custom tunes. Plus I dont have to pull out my programer and plug it in every time i want to tow my travel trailer. It weighs almost 12k so I just detune the truck on the dash by hitting the menu and choosing trans only file so it still firms up the shifts but keeps my egt's in check.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey6.0 View Post
Kinda like having a shift kit on the fly..
If you are doing things on the fly then your not properly tuning the truck, rather it's the engine or the tranny.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey6.0 View Post
I have the evo and like it. Its been on my truck since 2006 at 900 miles. I did exhaust and the programer together. The evo will let you adjust you wot shifts by creating a custom tune. All you have to do is firm up the shifts a little which does not let it slip between gears. Kinda like having a shift kit on the fly..

It comes with all the guages and can be changed to moniter things like coolant temp, trans temp, oil temp, egt's etc. I guess what drove me to it is you can upgrade over the internet as well as make your own custom tunes. Plus I dont have to pull out my programer and plug it in every time i want to tow my travel trailer. It weighs almost 12k so I just detune the truck on the dash by hitting the menu and choosing trans only file so it still firms up the shifts but keeps my egt's in check.
If you are tuning on the fly you must be running the juice. And FYI its impossible to tune the trans on the fly. All you are doing is fooling sensors. Thats not tuning
Old 03-25-2009, 06:24 AM

I wouldn't get any of that. If you don't want to get an SCT then get some guages and exhaust. You might try the painless wiring's stirker module. Just my 0.02 cents.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you are tuning on the fly you must be running the juice. And FYI its impossible to tune the trans on the fly. All you are doing is fooling sensors. Thats not tuning
Thats not what I meant by on the fly. The evo allows you to increase shift firmness at wot or points. Thats is in the custom features beyond there disclosure screen. I meant I can go out right now to my truck and pick whichever tune level (1-4) I want as well as display of what I want to see on the screen and make adjustments to the tune based on what I am doing at a given time (boat, travel trailer, or car hauler) and reflash my truck in under 2 min max. If its a simple reflash from tow to extreme it can be done at a fresh stoplight. My sct in my 04 would take almost 10 mins to do the same, I just had no ability to adjust things like the wot, speed limiter, timing etc..

I am not saying the other programs are not great. I just like to play around with the tunes on my own. Kinda like Hptuners software on the vette. I can adjust every parameter I want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.