Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

edge evolution?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  spikinfool05 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, new here and have a question. I was looking at getting an edge insight with egt probe for my 06 with the auto. When I added it all up with insight, probe, and mount- the edge evolution is only like 30 bux more. It seems that a lot of people don't like edge because the old auto didn't like them. Is this still the case with the 5r110? I have no other mods nor do I intend to do anything other than upgrade the exhaust when its time. I also wouldn't really use anything other than stock or the mileage setting to try and get a few more mpg's with the evolution. I tow occasionally (11 or 12k lbs) and daily drive it. Please don't tell me to get an SCT- just isn't worth it to me. Insight or Evolution- thoughts? Thanks!

#3 ·
Please don't tell me to get an SCT- just isn't worth it to me. Insight or Evolution- thoughts? Thanks!
How much is your trans worth to you? Edge products more often then not have caused alot of tranny problems, some got lucky and haven't experianced problems(yet), but the question is do you want to take the chance?

I wouldn't even bother with a "chip" in your case. Get some gauges, do the exhaust and let well enough alone. That would be the cheapest route to do and you wouldn't have to worry about putting on something that will be hard on the tranny or something that you can't afford to do to do it better then what your thinking.

#4 ·
I agree with Mike and Tex. The edge is hard on the trans even on the newer trucks. If you program it go with a custom tune. If you are set on something like the evo II get with Bill and Corey at Power Hungry performance. Their gryphon programmer is essentially a rebadged evo II with great custom files on it:thumb:

#6 ·
I have the evo and like it. Its been on my truck since 2006 at 900 miles. I did exhaust and the programer together. The evo will let you adjust you wot shifts by creating a custom tune. All you have to do is firm up the shifts a little which does not let it slip between gears. Kinda like having a shift kit on the fly..

It comes with all the guages and can be changed to moniter things like coolant temp, trans temp, oil temp, egt's etc. I guess what drove me to it is you can upgrade over the internet as well as make your own custom tunes. Plus I dont have to pull out my programer and plug it in every time i want to tow my travel trailer. It weighs almost 12k so I just detune the truck on the dash by hitting the menu and choosing trans only file so it still firms up the shifts but keeps my egt's in check.

#9 ·
I wouldn't get any of that. If you don't want to get an SCT then get some guages and exhaust. You might try the painless wiring's stirker module. Just my 0.02 cents.

#12 ·
ya somethings up i can adjust wot shift firmness speed limiter and alot of stuff i just dont mess with i have a sf3 sct with nothing but the canned tunes on it for now with the 65 horse tow setting firmer shifts and the agisive tow haul on this truck is alot differnt cant wait to see what some custom tunes and gauges will be like but got to have pay to play

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.