F350 to F450 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 09:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F350 to F450

Is it possible to convert my F350 into a F450? I tow a 16K fifth wheel and I'm wondering if I can legally increase my tow rating if I replace my F350 axles/brakes/suspension with that of a F450.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't see why you couldn't The only possible issue I would see would be insurance classification.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 909FF/PM View Post
I tow a 16K fifth wheel and I'm wondering if I can legally increase my tow rating if I replace my F350 axles/brakes/suspension with that of a F450.
I tow that weight and more with my 350 and the ole girl doesn't cry about it, why go thru the hassle?

I think there are a couple of other parts you have to swap not just those. It could be done(I would think) but it's alot of hassle and I don't see why you would need to go thru that for 16k when mine doesn't complain at all.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:36 AM

ya you can but if you dont do anything with your state or dot there not gonna know about the change of the gvw which is what matters the most. i mean if your towing then theres a pretty good chance that your gonna have to stop at a weigh station and scale in, at least thats how it is here in MA and surrounding states can be a real problem, just go and re register the truck when you do it so they know it can take it in the legal limits
Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Is it possible to convert my F350 into a F450? I tow a 16K fifth wheel and I'm wondering if I can legally increase my tow rating if I replace my F350 axles/brakes/suspension with that of a F450.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
I tow that weight and more with my 350 and the ole girl doesn't cry about it, why go thru the hassle?

I think there are a couple of other parts you have to swap not just those. It could be done(I would think) but it's alot of hassle and I don't see why you would need to go thru that for 16k when mine doesn't complain at all.
Judging by 9099FF's sig Im thinking he's an SRW truck looking to go DRW for the stability more than anything.

Otherwise I totally agree with you tex. I have towed that kind of weight quite often with my 250 just fine
Old 03-25-2009, 01:46 PM

The truck tows the weight with no problem. My problem is I live in the sue happy state of California. I just want to be legal when I tow my trailer.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
The truck tows the weight with no problem. My problem is I live in the sue happy state of California. I just want to be legal when I tow my trailer.
Did you move to California or were you always in California? If you've always lived in California this should have been considered during the initial purchase of the vehicle. I don't mean to sound like a bastard, but this is the type of stuff that should have been done before hand. People aren't going to know that you have the internals of a 450, if your outside says it's a 350.

Get a tag for a 350 that says you can haul 16k(just make damn sure you don't go over) and get your CDL(which you really should have if your hauling more then 26,001 combines weight I believe is the national standard and that is going by sticker weight of the truck and the max weight your trailer can handle if you don't have the rig weighed at a cat scales) and be done with. Otherwise, trade in the 350 and get a 450.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:42 PM

tex25025 I agree with what you said. I bought the truck and then bought the trailer. I thought the rating on the truck was 16,500 but after looking into it further I found out the truck is rated at 12,500 for fifth wheel trailers. Correct me if i'm wrong. I weighed my truck and trailer combined and it weighed 23,500.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM

Since you live in the sue happy sate of cali...do you also abide by the 55-mph max speed limit warnings for auto's towing a trailer?

Why not go with the 19.5 super single tires to increase your load rating. I did that with my truck and haul a 38' toy hauler that when fully loaded weighs in excess of 20,000 plus at times I will haul either my boat which is another 5,000 behind the old girl.....

If your going to convert I would not recommend the f450 as the suspension is so stiff and you don't really need it...if you want a dually buy the adapters...toss and a drw bed and call her good! Don't go f450 unless you buy it that way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.