edge juice vs sct custom tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking edge juice vs sct custom tunes

hi, guys i have a 2004 cc shorty with an afe stage 2 and a 5'' straight pipe.i had an older model of the juice with attitude on my truck because i got a good deal on it. i have a question about the egt's. when i had the edge on my truck i could hit 1300 degrees fairly fast. i dont know whats a safe temp to stop at. i had my alert set at 1250 and i only let it get that hot for like 2-3 seconds cause i dont wanna do the meltdown boogie. whats too hot of an egt temp? and how long can you run it at that temp before stuff melts? second do you think that that tuner being the older version of juice with attitude is the reason it gets so hot so fast? third how do guys run the 1/4 mile while keeping egts low it seems they would get to hot in the first few seconds of the race. and lastly would a custom tuned sct run cooler egts? can they tune them to run cooler? i hit 1300 with the edge no problem and i dont even tow anything. thats a straight flat road. i know guys towing over the mountain in dodges only hitting 970's for egt. do fords run hotter, my probe is in the manifold on the corner where edge says to put it, is that right? i am selling the edge and its no longer on my truck, anyone wanna buy it? lol sorry for the super long post any help would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersmoke View Post
i dont know whats a safe temp to stop at. i had my alert set at 1250 and i only let it get that hot for like 2-3 seconds cause i dont wanna do the meltdown boogie. whats too hot of an egt temp?To hot.. well there are some different opinions on that. 1250*sustained is ok, but no hotter for a length time. I've heard of people running 2000* in the quarter mile. I can hit 1700* with my race tune second do you think that that tuner being the older version of juice with attitude is the reason it gets so hot so fast? The added heat is directly affected by how much fuel your dumping into the cylinders third how do guys run the 1/4 mile while keeping egts low it seems they would get to hot in the first few seconds of the race. Water injection will help keep things cool, propane has a cooling effect also and lastly would a custom tuned sct run cooler egts? I have a custom tuned SCT, and you saw what I run with it can they tune them to run cooler? Yes, they will pull fuel/power from the programming i hit 1300 with the edge no problem and i dont even tow anything. thats a straight flat road. i know guys towing over the mountain in dodges only hitting 970's for egt. do fords run hotter, my probe is in the manifold on the corner where edge says to put it, is that right? Your probe is in the correct spot (drivers side manifold). Dodges run cooler, yes. Ford 6.0's are notorious for running very hot becasue of the manifold system and turbo system i am selling the edge and its no longer on my truck I was going to suggest you trash that Edge, good choice, anyone wanna buy it? lol sorry for the super long post any help would be awesome.
My replies in red
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

if i wanted to do a 1/4 pass would i need to worry about melting something? the custom tuning where you said they pull fuel and power is not an option lol i have a 5'' straight pipe and my dads 06 has a 4'' with a muffler and an evolution but it wont run as hot as mine even if hes pulling a steep hill. i think the evo is a wimpier tuner than the juice. you say you hit 1700 degrees, what size exhaust? how long do you run it at that temp? thanks for the help.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No need to worry about melting something. When I first used a programmer I was scared when seeing EGT's of 12-15 hundred degrees. But I have a suggestion for ya. Trying staying on the throttle past 1200. With the EDGE it should climb to no more than 1300 or so and then settle back down to around 1200-1250. As you increase your speed and RPM through the gears and what not your temp will start to fall to managable levels.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

its funny you say that, i dont have it on my truck anymore cause its for sale but when i did leave my foot in it i couldn't get over 1300 degrees. when i get my sct with some bada** tunes what should i expect for egts? whats too hot too run for any length of time can i sit a 1500 or so or if i see those high numbers do i need to back down? i guess what trying to say is whats a temp i can hit for a short time like a few seconds, 1500-1700 like you said? and whats a temp i can hit and leave it at like if im towing? whats to damn hot? thanks for all the help
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
if i wanted to do a 1/4 pass would i need to worry about melting something? I told you about that guy I met that said he hits 2000* in the 1/4, but there is NO WAY I'd want to run mine that high. 1800* tops, for me in the 1/4 but that's JMO the custom tuning where you said they pull fuel and power is not an option I hear that, that's why I am able to run such high temps, because taking the power after you've felt it, is not an option for me. I'm just more careful lol i have a 5'' straight pipe No need for 5" exhaust unless your running over 500hp and my dads 06 has a 4'' with a muffler and an evolution but it wont run as hot as mine even if hes pulling a steep hill. i think the evo is a wimpier tuner than the juice. you say you hit 1700 degrees, what size exhaust? 4" TB with no cat and a flow through muffler how long do you run it at that temp? Not long, I don't go to the track, or have many people around here that like to race (snobby a-holes) thanks for the help.
Quote:
its funny you say that, i dont have it on my truck anymore cause its for sale So, why are we having this discussion about tuners for your truck, if your selling it. Are you buying another one? but when i did leave my foot in it i couldn't get over 1300 degrees. when i get my sct with some bada** tunes what should i expect for egts? I think that's going to depend on who you choose as your tuner. I used Eric at IDP, and he has a GREAT reputation here on the org, for having awesome customer service, and even better tunes whats too hot too run for any length of time can i sit a 1500 or so or if i see those high numbers do i need to back down? I wouldn't sustain that temp for long, but keep in mind, the temps I'm talking about ALWAYS have the potential to damage something. All trucks seem to be different, when it comes to tuner, EGT's, power etc. Sometimes you have to pay to play. I've been lucky, as have many others here, but there are some that blow their trucks up soon after adding a tuner. i guess what trying to say is whats a temp i can hit for a short time like a few seconds, 1500-1700 like you said? and whats a temp i can hit and leave it at like if im towing? 1250* or lower whats to damn hot? I'd say that could be different for any truck, but I don't like to go over 1500* for any length of timethanks for all the help
Again, my replies in red
Old 03-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
its funny you say that, i dont have it on my truck anymore cause its for sale but when i did leave my foot in it i couldn't get over 1300 degrees. when i get my sct with some bada** tunes what should i expect for egts? whats too hot too run for any length of time can i sit a 1500 or so or if i see those high numbers do i need to back down? i guess what trying to say is whats a temp i can hit for a short time like a few seconds, 1500-1700 like you said? and whats a temp i can hit and leave it at like if im towing? whats to damn hot? thanks for all the help
Well when I have seen 1600 from a dead stop before on a few tunes. Of course it will only be there for maybe a second and then come right back down to around 1200. I since have put on an intercooler and can't see anything over 1300 under WOT.

With stock injectors you are really in no great danger of melting anything down with just a tune, exhaust and intake. You don't want to be at anything over 1300 for longer than a 1/4 mile with a tuner, exhaust, and intake setup. Anything over that length of time and you could be asking for head warpage.

I have a friend that has pegged a 2000* EGT gauge by half track and has probably 20 runs like that and has been fine. But you will eventually have to replace up pipes and or y-pipes because of those temperatures super heating the pipe and then when it cools down, that process makes the pipe very weak.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:40 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
I don't think he will have to worry about hitting those kinds of temps with stock parts, (injectors). I am not hitting those kinds of temps with mine sticks. The best advise you can be given is just keep an eye on your gauges and learn your truck and its quirks. I mean you are not going to back out of it going down the strip because it hits 1700* are you? I didn't think so. I'm not! It aint' sh!t for the most part. Like the saying goes...... You gotta pay to play! That is part of the game.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny View Post
I don't think he will have to worry about hitting those kinds of temps with stock parts, (injectors). I am not hitting those kinds of temps with mine sticks. The best advise you can be given is just keep an eye on your gauges and learn your truck and its quirks. I mean you are not going to back out of it going down the strip because it hits 1700* are you? I didn't think so. I'm not! It aint' sh!t for the most part. Like the saying goes...... You gotta pay to play! That is part of the game.
Do you agree that my elevation has something to do with my high EGT's? Everybody that has lower temps than me, lives a lot closer to sea level, therefore, they are playing in more O2 than me

PS, all of my mods are in my sig, no surprises here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.