Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Exhaust Routing

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  joe blow 
#1 ·
I am ditching my muffler today.
The easiest and most economical way is to have a 2' slip on pipe made and buying a 90* 5" tip pointed right to the ground RIGHT BEFORE THE DIFFERENTIAL.

Is anyone running this setup?

I am mostly concerned with exhaust gases (deadly CO) and smoke seeping into the cab.:doh:

I can also get a slip in pipe made for the muffler delete, but want to remove the exhaust as a complete unit from the muffler back and only deal with ONE troublesome joint than TWO (if you know what I mean).:)

Thank you

#2 ·
Why dont you run the pipe out infront of the rear tire? you would only be dealing with one 45* bend and it would be going away from the truck. I have seen people run the set up your thinking about, my buddy with his old 6.9 being one of them, with no issues. The exhaust would be back there far enough, that i wouldnt worry about the gases. :thumb:

#3 ·
Hey man fill out your sig. go into user cp at the top of the page, then on the left hand side you'll see edit signiture, click on it then start typing.

#5 ·
Very true. I was trying to find a 5 in kit for my OBS but no luck, so DIY for my 5 in downpipe back.

#6 ·
LiftededStroker,

I would but the muffler guy I use that will pretty much give me everything for free, cannot bend 4" tubing.

I am on a budget for a while and if it can be done for next to nothing, I'll try it.

I wonder if it will overheat my airbag that is mounted on my differential tube....It ill be feet away...what do you guys think?

#8 ·
Well if you got all the stuff you need for free, then that would be the way to go.

As for the bending of anything bigger than 3 1/2" pipe there is only one shop i have found in Washington that can bend 4". I am going to go through NAPA to get the 5" pipe and bends and everything so it is going to add up.

Just angle the tip away from the bag and you should be fine.

Make sure to take some pics and post'em:thumb:

#9 ·
He's got a 90* tip, so i dont think it will heat the housing up very much at all. depends on where he cuts the exhaust off at.

#10 ·
joe blow,
NAPA has all the stuff available (or can order) the parts you would need.

4"-3 1/2" reducer (if stock)
4" pipe available in max of 10' sticks
4" 45* bend
etc.
Then just have the muffler guy hang and weld everything up.
But like you said you got all the stuff for free. Screw I would do it that way too if i got all the stuff for free.

#12 ·
I talked to him today. He'll make me a 24" piece (probably 4 free). I will buy a 90* turndown
4"-5" SS tip (30.00). The exhaust will dump well before the differential tube. He said he has done several like that and no complaints of exhaust in the cab.

It should cost me no more than 40.00 with 4" clamps. I will install.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.