Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR Cooler?

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  SamW 
#1 ·
I know this subject has been beating to death but have to ask as I'm about to do this mod next week.

If you replace your up pipe (without scoop) and remove your egr cooler and reroute with a kit like Liberators or similar and the egr valve has already been disabled with the SCT, then whats the benefit with FCDP modified intake manifold:confused:

#2 ·
:bump: Anyone?

#3 ·
you have the liberator kit welded in. thats it. ....

#4 ·
Im not familiar with the liberty kit, but the only advantage tp the fcdp manifold is it is really clean.

#5 ·
i am fortunate enough to live right down the street from FCDP. great people; customer service is fantastic, and the parts are well assembled.

#6 ·
Service is very important. I think the higher price is worth the better service!!

#7 ·
Thanks for the replys, my reasoning is that I'm not sure where our state emissions inspection will be 5 years from now (hearing alot of rumors) and think I'd rather have a visable egr valve that is rendered usless then none at all and it only takes 10min to swap the cat back in if needed.

#8 ·
This is just what ive been hearing, ands its for my part of wisconsin, and i have no idea how states are doing inspections in other parts ofd the country. Here in wisconsin all it sounds like they will do is hook a scanner to the car look for codes, and insure all of the monitors have ran. If the monitors have ran and passed the vehicle passes inspection If the monitors have not ran the vehicle fails. So deleting the cooler or blocking it off will cause the monitor to fail whether the valve is there or not.
This is just how i see it, how are they doing emissions testing in other paarts of the country? Do they still hook it to the dyno, or just use a scan tool?

#9 ·
That was a good point about checking that all the monitors are functioning, I'm sure the SCT tuner guys can fool that scanner:thumb:

But if we go to a state run emissions testing facility the last thing we all need is some yahoo saying you failed the visual inspection.

#10 ·
From what I know about NY State where I am registered and will have to get my truck inspected when I get back in a few months its a visual inspection for our year diesel vehicles. The equipment is there, but they dont plug in. I think they will require the OBD II plug in for vehicles that are emmisions compliant IE 2008 year vehicles.

So what I am doing is bad EGR cooler welded closed and bolted in, good EGR parts saved. So if it ever comes to having to be pluged in, I wont have to buy a $600 intake manifold from a junk yard. :dunno:

#11 ·
if you want we can leave the hole for the EGR vale open so you can reinstall the valve with no problems.

a couple of beneifts of our kits vs. lib

1) you are starting with a virtually new intake manifold..its it soaked in a parts washer for sevral hours, and is then pressure washed..so the inside is pretty clean upon arrival..and you will appreciate that once you see how gummed up the inside of the intake manifold gets with the EGR system left in tact.

2) our parts are welded, and pressure tested..no leaks.

3) Our kit is far different then lib..with our kit you don't get a "lib kit just welded" as said above..we use totally different parts. Its a non OEM design unlike LIB

#12 ·
I have the liberator kit installed with the egr valve still in place.
Last time I was at NADP I asked about it ant they told me it rerouts the egr gasses out the exhaust.
I have no idea if this information is true I have not crawled under my truck to look yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.