ARP's and still puking... update. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ARP's and still puking... update.

Truck in sig, running extreme street. Had my ARP studs put in by the dealer, then had the truck puking again. At first it only puked once on the way home and I wrote it off to overfilling the coolant, since it didn't do it again after that. Well gradually it has come back and just as bad as before. I do still have my EGR cooler in place. I finally got a chance to datalog the truck last night (after extensive experimenting with Windows Vista and the SCT software.... AHHHHH) and took her for a spin.

First let me start by saying I can NOT believe how many parameters you can keep track of with the SCT software. Watching everying happen on the laptop in a graph was awesome! There is almost too much to record! You could burn a whole tank of fuel and not even touch half of the stuff on the livelink software. Once you're done everything can get exported to an excel file. Which my buddy did for me, but for some reason he doesn't know how to put the file onto my thumb drive plugged directly into his computer hehe

Anyways I was told to check out coolant temp VS. oil temp, as my oil cooler could be plugged. I dont have the data on me, but the rough numbers were as follows:

Idling:

Oil temp and coolant temp were within 12 degrees of each other on the nose, like suggested.

Driving down the road:

Oil temp dropped to about 140-145, and coolant was 174-178 at a constant ~60mph.

I'm not sure what this means but I recall reading that the oil and coolant should be around 12 degrees difference or less.

What does this mean? Is there anything else I should check with the datalogging?

*ALSO - you may want to have a buddy in the truck to run the laptop cause it can be realllly distracting. I had my buddy picking parameters out for me and reading numbers off*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to FastFocus
subscribed, my truck is at the dealer right now getting studs. hopefully i wont have to go through this. good luck though. maybe you should block off the EGR at the up pipe?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
How did you get the livelink software to work? I want to use it with my rig
Old 03-11-2009, 05:12 AM

Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Scratch your stomach while patting your head and rubbing a magic ball all at once, and the moons have to be aligned...

I've got some bookmarked links on my PC at home I'll post later that explain how to do it, it was pretty ridiculous and I could have never figured it out with that. Stupid VISTA!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Ok so here's the graph I made of the data from the live link. It is temperature VS. time. Time is in seconds as that is how the live link records, and my lord it takes a LOT of data. So at the very beginning when I first plugged it in, the truck was already up to temp idling in the driveway.

First thing I want to point out is at the very beginning idling in the driveway, the oil temp was about 10-12 degrees higher than the coolant temp. I had heard they should be within 12 degrees of each other, so I had hope. As I took off and started driving you can see oil temp dropped pretty good and coolant went up slightly. I had the whistling noise while driving (coolant spewing) and I did a few full throttle blasts and some coasting (hilly area) and I did a lot of 60mph cruise control driving too.

So now that I've done this, anyone want to chime in on what is going on? Here's the graph:

Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Dave, Here's the links I followed using Vista and the live link software, it was a PITA!

The info in the last post of this link is useful....

Having issues with Live Link (Vista) - SCT Flash!

You will need that info to install it after the installer is downloaded...

Now follow the instructions at the bottom of page 5 here:

Windows Vista is not supported by SCT at this time. - Page 5 - SCT Flash!

Once the software is fully installed on your laptop, go through the instructions in the first link again, you need to do the same stuff you did to install the software as you do to run it, if that makes sense. Sorry I'm not very computer Savvy, but this should get you off and running.

You will know its working in the truck when the Xcal (2 or 3) or whatever, says live link CAN.

Also when you first open up the live link, go to the top menus and input your tuner and your vehicle.!
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub707 View Post
Ok so here's the graph I made of the data from the live link. It is temperature VS. time. Time is in seconds as that is how the live link records, and my lord it takes a LOT of data. So at the very beginning when I first plugged it in, the truck was already up to temp idling in the driveway.

First thing I want to point out is at the very beginning idling in the driveway, the oil temp was about 10-12 degrees higher than the coolant temp. I had heard they should be within 12 degrees of each other, so I had hope. As I took off and started driving you can see oil temp dropped pretty good and coolant went up slightly. I had the whistling noise while driving (coolant spewing) and I did a few full throttle blasts and some coasting (hilly area) and I did a lot of 60mph cruise control driving too.

So now that I've done this, anyone want to chime in on what is going on? Here's the graph:

Have you had the coolant tested for hydrocarbons like when exhaust gases get past the HG and into the coolant? It's a simple test. It seems like if you are spewing coolant and water temps are normal then something is overpressurizing the system and it's not steam or you have a bad cap. That software sounds like a great tool; can it log coolant system pressure also or just temp?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
lifetime member

subscribed
Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuHL 951 View Post
Have you had the coolant tested for hydrocarbons like when exhaust gases get past the HG and into the coolant? It's a simple test. It seems like if you are spewing coolant and water temps are normal then something is overpressurizing the system and it's not steam or you have a bad cap. That software sounds like a great tool; can it log coolant system pressure also or just temp?
I'll have to look again since it's on my buds laptop. I just had my ARP's put on, one new head put on, new head gaskets, and the such. Already had the EGR cooler replaced (before the headstuds).

I have not tested it, how or where do I do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.