Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

SCT and Stock head bolts??

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tex25025 
#1 ·
Is the extreme file from eric safe to run on my truck with stock head bolts or am I just asking for trouble?? Thanks

#8 ·
anything is safe as long as you keep your eyes on your gauges bud.... its all up to you :)
It depends on how they make that extra hp on those extreme tunes. If they increase cylinder pressure to do it, then if your just monitoring the usual 3 gauges, you may not see that one coming(trans temp, boost, and egt).

#3 ·
Matter how you drive it I have 3 tune's from eric haul/econ/extreme race and ran it on extreme 1 time for about a week liked it b/c it would blow black smoke like crazy but I use my truck to make a living so I put it back on haul :) I would get some head bolts just in case but as long as your not getting on it ever where you go i think you will be fine

#4 ·
what would cause the HG to go? High boost??

#5 ·
Be Careful my friend.............Just be aware of what your doing and watch the egts and boost and drive pressure. Alot of people are doing it, and the ones that blow the head gasket are the ones who hammer down and abuse the power daily. If you use it when you need it, you should be ok.

#7 ·
I am sure Erics tunes are the same as Cales tunes, The boost tapers off on the upper end to reduce head gasket issues. The head gaskets will eventually go like mine did do to overall high cylinder pressure from more power. They write their tunes to be "Stock head bolt safe" but sometimes things happen, they write the tunes to be close to pushing the limit and some trucks fail while others dont. If you are looking for a little boost in power, but not run the risk, I would probably pass on the Xtreme tunes. But the power is addicting, I can wait to see what they truck can handle when I get my studs soon!!!:woot::woot::woot::woot:

#9 ·
The head gaskets will eventually go like mine did do to overall high cylinder pressure from more power.
You typed it the same time I did. Great minds think alike.

#11 ·
thanks everyone for the input. I am in need of some power since I sold my mustang. It is a addiction. I guess go for iut and see what Happens. One more ? what is "drive pressure" . Cylinder pressure? Is there a way to monitor it

#12 · (Edited)
Cylinder pressure? Is there a way to monitor it
I know that I can monitor Cylinder Head Pressure with the DashDAQ platform that Matt's tuner uses(the one I'm beta testing). I don't know any other monitors that do that because to do that even with the DashDAQ requires a Ford Enhancement license to view it.

EDIT: I'm sorry, you can also use software like AutoEnginuity to view that as well with the Ford Enhancement license as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.