Pre SCT Mods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pre SCT Mods

Alright, so yall have convinced me to get an SCT Livewire tuner. The only question I have is should I do anything else with my 6.0 before buying it? I currently have a K&N air filter, 4" cat back exhaust, and the kitty's missing.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you going with the windshield mount? i'd use standard pillar style guages. Raul brought up a good point in another thread about it getting stolen being mistaken for a gps
Old 03-07-2009, 04:41 PM

ya go with a x3 with custom tunes and get gauges seen a livewire kinda big and bulky and if the tuner goes so does your gauges and i dont like that myself to much.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
yah im not a big fan of the livewire or any 1 unit pieces...

plus the livewire is bulkly an easily stolen... and digital gauges are not as accurate as analog gauges...

me personally i do not like the livewire... if you went with a X3/ gauge combo you would be paying less then doing the livewire and the egt probe

let me know if you have any questions about it

-Raul
Old 03-07-2009, 04:57 PM

depending on your cash flow, i would get the gauges like the others said and also do the egr delete and head studs. definately get custom tunes too.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
and digital gauges are not as accurate as analog gauges...

You keep on saying that, but you've never answered my question on do you use long or short sweep gauges. The reason why I ask that(yet again) is that you have more guessing on short sweep gauges then long sweep(and I do have long sweep gauges).

The only difference that I have seen using the DashDAQ and analog gauges is 2-4 degrees higher on the DashDAQ for TFT. All the others are spot on with everything that I've seen and I have copious notes on that.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive
and digital gauges are not as accurate as analog gauges
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex25025 View Post
You keep on saying that, but you've never answered my question on do you use long or short sweep gauges.
Ok, for the 4th time you have not answered that question and I have seen that you have posted today and had a chance to see my question yet again. I can only conclude then you must be using short sweep gauges in your comparisions. While you can still do a somewhat accurate comparision with short sweep, you have to be looking at your readings a little bit more to make sure you get readings at the tick marks so you know exactly what readings your short sweep gauge is giving you.

Also, technically speaking it's not digital gauges that I think you have a problem with, it's the OBD-II gauges that you have difficulty with. There are digital gauges that use external probes but they just have a digital display. I might be wrong, but if your just talking about digital guages period then you would have that issue as well.

Normally I wouldn't be this adament on knowing, but given that my comparisions between the DashDAQ and the long sweep analog gauges that I have, the only difference was the 2-4 degree TFT difference and the DashDAQ was on the hotter side(which I would rather have it be on the hotter side then the colder side if it was going to be a little off, but 2-4 degrees is neglible in my opinion). Also I'm not disturbed by the difference in TFT readings is because if your gauge is in a spot that you don't know exactly what that blank spot means or that tick mark means, you could be off in your judgement 2-4 degrees(or more if it's short sweep and in a blank spot). All the other gauges that I used were on the nose(EOT and ECT being the more important ones I concentrated on). Couple that with the fact that you never told me how you made those comparisions on your own(if you did, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that one), I can't give as much credence to your statement especially since I've tried several times to find out what evidence you had that lead you to your opinion and no response.

Now, I won't ask you again how you came to that conclusion since you obviously don't want to mention, but I can't help but question it without knowing your train of thought when it differs from my own observations.

Last edited by tex25025; 03-08-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Premium Member

Thanks guys. Sorry i was without internet for the last week. The thing with the gauges though is they stand out, and they aren't something that you can just take off. Plus I was thinking about trying to mount it down lower around my radio or something, so it's not as visible. I kind of want inconspicuous power, cause if i pull up next to some one, and they see the column, they know i have something. Same goes with cops.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneboy415 View Post
Thanks guys. Sorry i was without internet for the last week. The thing with the gauges though is they stand out, and they aren't something that you can just take off. Plus I was thinking about trying to mount it down lower around my radio or something, so it's not as visible. I kind of want inconspicuous power, cause if i pull up next to some one, and they see the column, they know i have something. Same goes with cops.
Something like where I have the Spartan Phalanx mounted here:

2006 Ford F350 4x4 - Beta 6.0L Spartan Phalanx Tuner
Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Premium Member

Yea, that's a nice setup you have there Tex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.