Question on Tuners - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 05:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question on Tuners

I have an 06 F350 Super Duty CC Dually 4x4 with a 6.0 Auto, turbo back 4" exhaust, Banks High Ram intake, Ram Air air intake, CCV Mod, EGR delite, new up pipe, etc, and for a tuner I'm running an Edge Evoulition. Now after reading all about the Edge tuners on this forum, I'm a little concerned about my transmission. I run my Edge on level 3 ,the Trans shifts firmly and the performance is good. I pull around 8000lb up mountain passes with ease and my Trans temp rises ever so slightly. What exactly is the problem with these tunners, Especially with the Trans. I have been reading up on the SCT tuners and it sounds like these are the best choice for the 6.0. The only problem I have now is that I'm kind of strapped for cash, and if I do decide to change tunners, which SCT would be the best choice. The Livewire looks interesting, does it come pre tuned for the Trans mods as well as the engine? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The problem with the Edge is that it does nothing as far as tuning the trans to work with the extra power. You end up slipping gears without having proper tranny tuning. The SCT programs the tranny, as well as the engine, and has a TON of power.

The best would be the SCT Xcal2 or 3, and your tuner should be Eric at Innovative Diesel IMO. I don' tthink that the Livewire is all its cracked up to be, but I don't really know (correct me if I'm wrong). You WILL NEED a set of gauges to keep an eye on the EGT's and tranny temp.

The SCT is not like the Edge, in that it WON'T defuel if you get the EGT's too hot, or your tranny starts getting hot.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
None of the custom tuned SCT's will come pre tuned... and i would not buy a SCT without the custom tunes...

Livewire is ok but its big and bulky.. also noone makes a pod for it so you will either have to mount it on the windshiled like a GPS or find a place for it...

my choice is a X3 with custom tunes and a set of regular gauges... plus its cheaper...

here is our X3/ gauge combo: SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tunning/ Gauge Combo Kit

and the livewire: Innovative Diesel Custom SCT LiveWire tuner with display

you will need to add the egt probe for the livewire...

let me know if you have any questions bud.. ill be more than happy to answer them

-Raul
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
None of the custom tuned SCT's will come pre tuned... and i would not buy a SCT without the custom tunes...

Livewire is ok but its big and bulky.. also noone makes a pod for it so you will either have to mount it on the windshiled like a GPS or find a place for it...

my choice is a X3 with custom tunes and a set of regular gauges... plus its cheaper...

here is our X3/ gauge combo: SCT X3 Custom Innovative Diesel Tunning/ Gauge Combo Kit

you will need to add the egt probe for the livewire,and/or for a pyro guage

let me know if you have any questions bud.. ill be more than happy to answer them

-Raul

Fixed it for ya. I thought that might mislead him into thinking he won't need a probe for the guage.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys, If my Edge does not tune the trans then why are my shifts firmer on level 3 than stock, the more weight I haul, the firmer the shifts get especially in tow haul mode. Does the SCT just firm up the shift points or are there other mods to the trans.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
I disagree, The "Canned tunes" are 10 times better than anyother tuner on the market. Custom tunes are just an added WOW.
Kinda like a hot stripper, Or a hot stripper with free lap dances.

I agree, And to add two negatives, Bright at night and it has to say in the truck. It could/will git stolen.
Right on the money

you will need to add the egt probe for the livewire...

-Raul
-------------------------------
Old 02-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon350 View Post
Thanks for the reply's guys, If my Edge does not tune the trans then why are my shifts firmer on level 3 than stock, the more weight I haul, the firmer the shifts get especially in tow haul mode. Does the SCT just firm up the shift points or are there other mods to the trans.
Shift firmness
TC lock up
Rev limiter
Shift points (All gears)
tunes
Rev adjustments
Trans only tune
and more, Have not messed with mine in a while. I have been on the same adjustment for months/and months
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon350 View Post
If the Edge is working for you I would just stay with it. I know every one here likes the SCT. I ask almost the same question as you. I want to know how many run the SCT or run something else.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNACUSTOM View Post
If the Edge is working for you I would just stay with it. I know every one here likes the SCT. I ask almost the same question as you. I want to know how many run the SCT or run something else.
I started a new thread with a poll Which programmer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.