Normal Operating boost? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Normal Operating boost?

Whats everyone run for boost just rolling around town/towing/highway? got an 05 f350 RC LB 4" strait, airaid filter, Innovative tuned.325/65/18 MTs..Just took a 700mile trip pulling a 12x6 enclosed trailer weighing about 3700lbs loaded, ran 70 -75mph with a 5-10mph headwind...stock boost gauge read 18-20psi with IDs Agg Street, 16-18psi with IDs AggTow..plugged in my Xcal 3 and it read same boost levels..headed home trailer unloaded ran IDs AggStreet ran 12-14psi. running round town never touch 10psi..Highway 65-75 usually run 10psi normal conditions and usually push around 12psi if theres a headwind unloaded.. truck just seems like it pulls like a turd.. truck loses speed going uphill by itself and worse if im hauling anything..not sure if this is normal.. my buddies Dmax barly loses speed up hills pulling his 40' tripple axle gooseneck.going down the interstate his truck barly runs any boost at all. do powerstrokes generally run more boost than the other diesels out there??.as much as i dog on his truck i have to admit his truck pulls way better than mine..anyone have similar issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Those boost levels seem a little low to me....
Old 02-19-2009, 07:28 PM

Those boost levels do seem low to me as well. There might be something else going on that is making it hard for you to build boost.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:41 PM

well so far i was thinking the opposite..but thats why i ask! my truck has alot of oil around the boots???..wasnt tuned untill 98kmiles so excessive carbon buildup from smoke shouldnt be the problem..i will say the truck spools up fast..what would cause a lack of boost??
Old 02-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoker0560 View Post
wasnt tuned untill 98kmiles so excessive carbon buildup from smoke shouldnt be the problem

Actually you can still have excessive carbon buildup with a stock truck. It depends on how long you let it idle and what type of traveling do you do. Getting rid of the EGR will help or if you don't want to do that install the high idle mod and every now and again when your up to operating temp really romp on the ole girl.

Quote:
..i will say the truck spools up fast..what would cause a lack of boost??
Exhaust leak could have an affect on buildup, EGR issues also. What are your EGTs looking like? Are they within norms that your used to for your habits corresponding to what boost your seeing?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Dont yet have EGT Gauge ..pickin some gauges up this weekend..truck has idled alot in it life..engine hours are 4400 or so with 101400 miles, a buddy of mine recently bought an 05 PSD with 130k on it and it had 3300 eng hours give or take..which tells me the previous owner of my truck sat in it and smoked cigarettes alot with it running..was a farmers truck..havnt checked for exhaust leaks or anything..EGR should be off through tuning..not sure if thats what you mean..
Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
truck has idled alot in it life..engine hours are 4400 or so with 101400 miles, a buddy of mine recently bought an 05 PSD with 130k on it and it had 3300 eng hours give or take..which tells me the previous owner of my truck sat in it and smoked cigarettes alot with it running..was a farmers truck..

That could definately cause some issues with your truck. Alot of people(particularly farmers) are used to idling diesel trucks for long periods of time and think nothing of it. Can't do that with these new trucks and that's only going to be the case moreso for the newer diesel trucks.

Quote:
havnt checked for exhaust leaks or anything..EGR should be off through tuning..not sure if thats what you mean..
I actually meant having deleted the EGR and associated cooler physically.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:10 PM

so what exactly does excessive idling do to harm the engine?..where do you recommend i start looking for an issue..thanks
Old 02-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
so what exactly does excessive idling do to harm the engine?

It can cascade into severe issues from what I've seen with other people personally and from what I've read on forums such as these. With a fully functioning EGR, excessive idling will start to deposit carbon on the vains of the turbo and after so long you'll start to have boost issues due to stuck vanes. So long of those boost issues eventually it affects the headgaskets. This is hastened more with tuned trucks then not, but it's an issue with stock trucks and people that treat them like diesel trucks of old.

The cheapest and fairly reliable cure for it is to to every now and then really romp on it, get the egts fairly high for a couple of seconds and try to "burn off" those deposits. Now it'll be a little late if that is indeed the case for your truck now until after that turbo is fixed if(if this is indeed the issue).

Quote:
..where do you recommend i start looking for an issue..thanks
Well if it seems like your getting enough fuel to spin the turbo then I would concentrate on anything/everything that deals with air. Intake, y-pipes(up-pipes), turbo, exhaust.

If the air side of the equation looks good then I would do fuel side. Particularly fuel pump as low pressure means your starving injectors and that hurts the ability for the truck to spool the turbo.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:34 PM

ok ill look into it..thanks for the info..much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.