New to diesels-Where should i start for performance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to diesels-Where should i start for performance

I recently bought a 2004 F350 Harley Edition quad cab with the 6.0 Diesel.

I dont really know where to go. There are so many different exhaust/tuners/ and air intake.

Basically what im looking is good gas mileage and obviously good performance. I do alot of towing. (20FT car hauler for snowmobile racing).

I also would like to blow a little bit of black smoke when i want to I know i know, its wasted fuel.

From my little research i am thinking MBRP cat delete exhaust and SCT tuner. Whats the scoop with custom tunes? From reading on here i get what they are but who do i go to and how much are they usually?

Am i going to run into any problems not running a cat?

Thanks guys, i seriously appreciate all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
New to diesels-Where should i start for performance-truck.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2009, 01:20 PM
International Harvester

Get a 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat (any brand is fine), you will not have any problems, you don't have to use a muffler either. No need for an intake until you make bigger power than what a programmer will give you.

As far as a programmer you should get an SCT with custom tunes from Eric over at Innovative Diesel, he can hook you up with a nice tow tune and great power tunes, you won't believe the difference.

You should get gauges with the SCT, that way you can make sure you are not letting your truck get too hot.

You should also put head studs and EGR delete on your list, custom tunes will turn off the EGR valve but deleting it will ensure that you won't have any problems. The head gaskets are hit or miss, some people have no problems with their mods but some people stretch the stock bolts with stock power.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just run a straight pipe for now. Where do you live.
The tuner of choice is SCT. There is no reason to go another route. They are great, Cheap and good for your tranny.
I am cheap, So I run a short straight pipe. If you want to keep your cat then do so. To me pipes all the same. FarmBoy diesel is cheap and he makes good kits.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM

I was gonna do the MBRP exhaust too, but after some research I found the Magnaflow didn't drone as much. When towing for long distances the drone will wear on you. I towed a 10k trailer w/bobcat and really noticed little drone. It's also pretty quiet when you are driving under normal conditions... but when you floor it the exhaust really roars! I recently put Rammat in the truck so I have no drone at all and the exhaust is really quiet in the interior of the truck.

I did the SCT from Innovative Diesel. I love the extreme street tune, as well as the standard street tune. Towing tune with "turbo brake" is really great for towing. The best MPG I've got an pure highway was 20.5mpg, and I have a 4x4. He also has an economy tune, but I found that I get better mileage with the extreme street tune with the standard street tune being a close second.

Your stock intake does a great job of filtering, I wouldn't change it. You won't see much of a power increase anyway.
Any exhaust will lower your EGTs. Supposedly the zoodad mod will too. I haven't seen definitive proof of it, but I did it anyway.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:23 PM

The SCT will come with 3ea "canned tunes". They will be good for now. Then you can download some custom tunes after you know what you want. They run about $50.00 ea.

Did SHEP and I answer your questions?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yes very much so, Does someone have the link to the zoodad mod?

Also, how much black smoke does the SCT with the stock setting (not custom tunes) create, and what kind of mileage are people seeing with it.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:32 PM

I just bought my truck a few weeks ago and was asking the same questions as you. Were to start, what brand. The most frequent response I got was Gauges, Exhaust.
SCT by Eric.

I have went with this advice so far. Installed gauges this weekend. Next I'll get the exhaust then tuner.

One advantage I can see to installing gauges first is: I will now be able to see exactly how my egt's are affected by each additional modification I make.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
The SCT will come with 3ea "canned tunes". They will be good for now. Then you can download some custom tunes after you know what you want. They run about $50.00 ea.

Did SHEP and I answer your questions?
Only the SF3 model comes with the preloaded tunes and the ability to store custom tunes. The X3 stores Custom tunes only, there is nothing preloaded.

I would check with Raul@stealth-automotive he might be able to get you a good deal on the whole package.

Good looking truck, I love that paint scheme. oh ya, I almost forgot
Old 02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is this the SF3? eBay Motors: SCT Strategy Flash Tuner Programmer Ford Powerstroke (item 380103469725 end time Mar-12-09 15:40:52 PDT)

Seems like a pretty good deal

Is there a place to buy the guages and pod all in one? (EGT/turbo/and temp)
Old 02-16-2009, 01:40 PM
International Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroken04 View Post
Only the SF3 model comes with the preloaded tunes and the ability to store custom tunes. The X3 stores Custom tunes only, there is nothing preloaded.

I would check with Raul@stealth-automotive he might be able to get you a good deal on the whole package.

Good looking truck, I love that paint scheme. oh ya, I almost forgot
I think you have it backwards, the X3 stores 3 custom tunes and 3 canned tunes at once, the SF3 will only store 3 of one or the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.